Taking our boys outside

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimberly

I have seen that lots of rattie owners have taken their rats outside for playtime, I would love to do this with our boys but Im kinda scared to do it. How did you introduce your ratties to the outdoors safely?? Would there be any risks of illness from having some playtime outside?

You have to make sure your area is pesticide free. Are there any predators in your area, such as large birds? You'd need to watch for that. if you don't have a leash for them, consider taking them out in an enclosed area at first so they can't run away.

I'm sure other will chime in with their advice.

Cats and even dogs roaming the area is a big issue too.

I am in a condo and they put pesticides on our grass outside, not only that but we've seen cats out here and there. Every once in a while I will go sit out on my balcony with them, one at a time that is with the rat sitting on my lap so they can get some fresh air.

Mine really also seem to like it when the windows are open to the bedroom, same effect for the fresh air. I'm too paranoid to take them outside all at once.

Very good points!! Maybe I will just bring the outside in for them. They do seem to enjoy running up in the window seal when I have the windows open, but I really dont want to risk injury , illness or any harm by taking them outside. I honestly dont know if our landlord treats our grass with any chemicals either :?

We have a fenced in front yard so I feel better taking my rats outside. I used to do it all the time back when I had my first rats but now I don't do it so much cause I have way to many. lol
Things to watch out for: bugs, sun, wind, other animals. When I do it, I usually have at least 5 other people with me to help me watch and play with the rats.
When I did it often enough, my rats loved it. But the new guys are pretty scared outside now.

I have my own house, so pesticides and chemicals on the lawn are not an issue because I don't use them.
Risks from above were always a concern, there are a lot of predacious birds in my area, especially Red Tailed Hawks.
I always found my guys to be very sensitive to any temperature changes. I would take them out for short periods, and it always resulted in sneezing for days afterwards. I would only choose the perfect day, with temperatures in the mid 20's, and I did not have them in direct sunlight.
I don't do it anymore because of the sneezing afterwards.

I only take them outside when the weather is pretty perfect -- not too hot or cold. And I take the rats out one at a time since I can only reliably keep my eyes on one rat at a time, and when you are outside you want your eyes on them at all times.

When I have my own yard (someday!) I plan to build some sort of playpen/enclosure (like a Martins playpen) outside so my rats can enjoy the fresh air while I browse a magazine etc.

Back