Tail wagging, twitching

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nightmarevamp

My one boy Basil, has started tail wagging (might be around the same time as I got a new one and intros didn't go well).

But I was wondering what tail wagging means, cause even when he's on his own or in my arms he wags like crazy lol He doesn't move and just takes in the attention, when you put him down he walks then runs off like a mad man.

:lol:

some of my girls will wag or twitch their tails when they are excited

I found this:
2.5 Why does my rat wag its tail?

Rats may "wag" or writhe their tails on the ground. This action has many names, such as tail wagging, tail swishing, and tail writhing. Tail wagging may involve the whole tail or as little as the tail tip.

The function of tail wagging is unknown in rats, but it appears to be associated with excitement and tension. For example, rats may writhe their tails during aggressive encounters with each other, or when facing a predator.
[url="http://www.ratbehavior.org/W...w.ratbehavior.org/WhatIsMyRatD ... ailWagging[/url]

Depends on the scenario. My boy, Ed, will wag his tail when he's laying on the CN pan after I've just changed the fleece and I've started giving him pets and no other rats are around to bug him. I assume it just means he's happy and enjoying his petting :p

And Roy wags his tail sometimes when he's sitting still, and then begins to popcorn. He doesnt always do it, but I've caught him doing it a couple times now.

Back