tail swishing and the meaning?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsayfawn

I was just wondering if there is another meaning to the tail swishing that rats do when they're annoyed? From what I have read they will swish the tail when they're in an agressive mood or being attacked.
The reason I ask is because I have noticed a few times when I'm petting Griffin around the ears he'll sometimes swish his tail. Maybe he doesn't like being scritched around the ears?
Any ideas?

On occasion my rats have swished their tails whilst being petted and it seemed like they were itchy or really getting into being scritched. I dare say he has itchy ears. If he's not pulling away from you, than I'm sure he's enjoying it.

nope he didn't pull away and he'd lick me after I stopped, it just took me by surprise when I saw it. He's our first boy so it's all new to us on that front lol

It all depends on what the rest of the body language is telling you.

I have had rats enjoy scritching and wag that tail, Angry or frightened (high emotions) rats will twitch it. Little Mallo is like a rattlesnake, she's very nervous some days.

I've seen it in excited play too - when out, Treacle used to hide behind her cage, then wiggle her tail just before a pounce - ambushing a cagemate :nod:
Arki used to wiggle his ever such a lot when I stroked his head neck and shoulder - he was very obviously happy, not annoyed, when he used to do it.

I have a video of a territorial old girly angrily scent-marking her territory after it has been invaded by strange rats which involves a bit of tail swishing (as well as flank-rubbing and hand rubbing) if anybody would like to see it.

I didn't think he was being agressive but was curious if there were other meanings to the tail swish then aggression. That's intersting to know that they can do the tail swish when they're happy. He sure love attention and is for sure an attention hog I think he must have been ignored a lot. I'm also happy to see that the hair on his arms is starting to grow back! :joy:

Back