Swollen Neck & Weight Gain

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elizabethrae.

I'm a bit worried about my boy Donadarrion.. I'm not sure if there is actually a problem or if I'm just being paranoid so I decided to check with everyone before scheduling a vet appointment.

Donny is my youngest of 5 boys. He is about 8 months old and is of pet store pedigree. Today my dad was walking past the cage and asked me if I had gotten another rat... he didn't recognize Donny apparently because of his size. Donny has always been small but lately he's been packing on the weight. I see them everyday of course but my dad normally only looks closely at them about once a week. But I found it strange that he didn't recognize him. He really seems to be chunky around the neck which is not something I have seen before. Could there be a tumour? All my boys get Oxbow with the occasional treat and none of my other boys are overweight. Donny is by no means HUGE.. just bigger. Is this just normal growth or should I be concerned?

HPIM1336.jpg

HPIM1334.jpg

HPIM1332.jpg

HPIM1329.jpg

It could be just beefy boy weight.... you need to give a good feel and see if you can find any "edges" to a possible growth.

He looks fine to me
but if you think his neck is swollen a vet visit is in order as that can be a symptom of several things including serious illness such as SDA.

Back