Sweet Pea is cage aggressive

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

My Sweetpea is not quite as sweet. :wink2:

I changed the majority of my cages to fleece since according to the City of Toronto, i should limit myself to 1 garbage bag a week. :doh: Well Sweetpea gets very very upset when I rearrange the fleece in her cage and bites...its like she cannot help herself, i move something, she has to run over and her teeth are drawn to my hand like a moth to a flame! :laugh4:

So her cage is back on aspen since I don't want to stress her out. I also don't blame her since for the longest time her cage was her World, and just like a barn-sour horse will behave like this.

I didn't get bitten badly (no bone-crunching) just slashy warning bites. I will keep everyone informed on how she progresses as the trust levels and time take care of things.

Btw the Party Girls are also a bit cage aggressive as well. They are great with the Phat Girls out of the cage but thats as far as its allowed to go. I will continue them on Out times together (they do like each other) and will keep trying to get them integrated.

Sweetpeajul4.jpg

Awwe poor Sweet Pea. I guess I wouldn't be very happy either if someone kept coming into my home and moving my furniture around LOL.

You should try giving her a treat everytime you have to move something around. Thats what I did with my bunny and eventually it seemed like she wanted me to move stuff in her cage haha. Even if she doesn't learn to like it, at least the treat might distract her long enough that you can do a quick clean up without being attacked. :wink2:

Silly little girl. She says "Ma, I like my cage the way it was chomp, chomp put it back the way I like it chomp, chomp!"

Lilly is that way but it is with her toys, if I move one she will lunge at it and grab it from me she has on occasion gotten a finger, boy does it hurt.

:( Hope things work out with the Party/Phat girls. I'm still having a time with integrating Neville with the Screamers. The play sooooo well out of the cage, but still can't put them together. Neville kicks their butts.

A couple of my boys are less than ideally behaved as well. I am getting the snake behaviour, where they strike and strike, almost breaking the skin but just stopping short.

This is slightly but not completely off topic. Do you get yard waste pick up? You know, the big paper leaf bags? I put my shavings in those bags and set them out for the yard waste pick up. Since I work in the business I can tell you for sure that your rat shaving are compostable! (Even if some drivers and municipal lackeys don't agree because their narrow little minds close and say "No!" when they hear the word rat!) To save myself the hassle of an argument I stick a layer of some grass/leaves/weeds/sticks on top.
Not only do you save your shavings from joining the waste stream you also don't have to worry about the garbage limit!
The only thing I don't know in your case Shelagh is if you have a spot where you can put the bag out. Maybe look down the street and if someone has their yard waste bags out put yours with it. Hide it in the crowd!! :giggle:

If you have green bin pickup, which most people in and around the GTA have, shavings are also accepted in your green bin. That is where all mine go.

I'll have to look into the green bin pickup. I am actually doing 1/2 my cages on aspen, and 1/2 on fleece and still able to do the 1 bag pickup for now.

Or even the yard waste one would help :) Thanks for the ideas!!! :thumbup:

My landlord is a cheap *** and we only do pile on the curb pickup so far, which makes for one very nasty pile :roll:

Back