Swaying of the head

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The swaing rat, do they have pink or ruby eyes? It is often seen, especially in rats with these eye colours, when a rat can't see particularly well. Melody, my Himilayan, does it often :)

I was just reading about this earlier today actually.

From http://www.ratbehavior.org/WhatIsMyRatD ... tm#Swaying

Some rats, especially pink eyed albinos, often sway from side to side. Albino rats have extremely poor vision, and this swaying may help them see better. Dark-eyed rats may sway or bob their heads up and down too, though they tend to do so less frequently than albino rats. Head bobbing in dark-eyed rats is usually seen before the rat takes a big jump.

Swaying may help the rat figure out how far away various objects are. When a rat moves its head, the images of the objects around the rat move across its retina. Close objects will move faster than far ones, a phenomenon known as motion parallax. Rats may use such motion marallax cues to judge distance and depth.

:nod:

I have two PEW's and Ruby does it all the time and always has. Willow on the other hand has never swayed. It really depends on the rat as well I guess.

Not all rats do it. Also, some dark eyed rats are actually a very dark ruby color.
My Benjamin does this... makes him look oh so cute!

My rat Emma does it very frequently and she has dark ruby eyes. Emma also is my crazy escape artist rat :giggle:

Izzy on the other hand is a PEW and she has never swayed more then just a few times (she is much less of an escaper then Emma is)

Back