super pet woodland get-a-away smells!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dell126

I have a wooden hut for the rats (fabric and plastic don't last a day with them before they start chewing it or have it destroyed; wood is the only thing they leave alone) and they use the top for a pee spot and it STINKS. Any suggestions for getting the smell out?

Vinegar is a safe odor remover. you can try to wipe it down with a cloth with vinegar and water on it.

I don't use anything wooden because as you say, rats pee ALL OVER IT and you can't get the smell out. If they are really bad at eating plastic huts and you don't think that is an option, you can use good old cardboard boxes. Just use whatever you have in your recycling bin (or you can even ask at any grocery store for extra boxes they have). I collect decent sized-boxes for my girls and every time I clean their cage, I give them a new one. Yes they pee on it, but I just throw it out weekly.

It's fun for them, a new toy they get to explore. And they chew the crap out of it, sleep in it, pee on it, and start over next week :)

I soak them each cleaning day in vinegar and then really hot water and use a scrubbie and let air dry. Seems to work. Also try a pee stone or 4 in designated spots they seem to like to pee on rocks more then wood. Keeps my wood houses dryer.

Back