Sudden Passing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeaganMonster

My Husband just woke me as he said one of the Rats was acting oddly...
said it was like she was having seziures or fits.

Shy Girl passed in a matter of minutes. Rest in Peace little girl.

:(

I'm not sure what to do about her sister Marshmallow - they've been together since birth and I'm really worried 'Mallow might pass from grief.

We had no indication that anything was wrong although I did notice they were a bit scrappier the last 2 nights in a row.

How can I help my remaining Rat girl??

If you can't get baby friends soon, I would suggest spending a lot of extra time with your girl.

I am soo sorry for your loss, these guys can hide illness so well, sometimes you never know they are sick....

Jo that was my immediate thought - 'Mallow needs company otherwise she'll go quick too.
We're waiting a couple days to make sure it wasn't bacterial or viral (sounds like it was a PT or neurological though) but we'll be trying to get her some pals ASAP.

They were estimated at 3 months when we got them (but I think they were younger) so they were likely only 3 or 4 months old.

I'm pretty bummed :(
Marshmallow is nesting in my hair at the moment...

Anyone have any other ideas for what might have caused her to pass so quickly?
Both girls were eating, drinking and playing normally.
Although I had noticed Shy was a bit scrappier lately I thought she might be trying to take the Alpha position from her sister.
Marshmallow seemed extra loving the last few days grooming Shy at every available moment.

Also: There may be 2 rats (female too!) at the SPCA in town one young one (a couple months at most) and one who is around 1 year old.

Marshmallow is doing well - no sign of illness.
She is currently nesting in my hair (again!) bruxxing away.

She is very social with Adam and I so I'm not as worried that she'll be lonely... but we are actively looking for new rattie roommates.

Back