Sudden Death - What Happened??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RatsForever

Tonight I had to work so when I left the house at 6:30PM everything was fine with my boys; I even gave them a dish of peas before I left which they all excitedly ran to. When I returned at 11PM I couldn't believe my eyes when I went into the rat room! There was blood splattered around the cage and I found my boy Cohen dead! He had blood all around his mouth and nose! I'm beyond shock! Of all the years I've had pet rats I've never experienced this before. I have never seen so much blood splattered and so much blood around a rat's mouth and nose before. What could have happened?! What symptoms did I miss? I just don't understand! The boys were so closely bonded so I can't imagine a fight broke out. Any little sign of illness I'm off to the vet, and Cohen was just fine when I left for work. So what could have happened?

Also, my other boys are so stressed at the moment and I've been trying to comfort them but I can't understand what happened to Cohen. Does anyone have any idea?

I still can't believe it...

I'm so very sorry... how shocking for you.
But it could be a number of things. Even a tooth breaking at the root can cause massive blood loss and death. :(

I'm so sorry you lost your boy so suddenly and so strangely. I know it is difficult, but maybe you could get your vet to do a necropsy to find out how he died. I can't imagine what could have happened.
I find rats are sensitive to the death of a member of their clan, and your other rats may be upset for a few days.
:hugs:

Oh, I am so sorry. What a shock and a loss for you and Cohen's cage mates. I wonder if rats can have aneurysms? They are not common in humans but they can cause a very fast death. Scott would probably want to do a necropsy.

RIP, dear Cohen.

When my Delilah choked she brought forth copious amounts of porphyrin from her nose and mouth.
It looked like a blood bath. :shock:
With my help she eventually passed the blockage.
Maybe your boy choked?
I am really sorry that you had to find him like that how awful for you. :cuddle:
R.I.P. Sweetheart!!

:sad3:
It sounds horrible for Cohen .... and for everyone who loved him :sad3:
Cohen had a great life with you. He was a wonderful little well loved boy.
I hope his death was very fast.

:hugs: to you and the boys

Thank you kindly for your condolences. I appreciate it. I was just so shocked when I came home last night.

I read your post Tarah on poor Throttle and hos passing sounded just like Cohen. I even had to wash some blood off the wall. I just tread the idea Cohen may have suffered. As some people suggested perhaps I should bring him to the vet for a necropsy; I've never seen this before.

My two other boys just wanted to remain on my shoulder while I cleaned the cage last night. I've been giving them extra attention and cuddles this morning. Poor Karl, is going to miss his wrestling buddy.

Below are a couple of pictures of my sweet boy, Cohen. The second picture was him anxiously waiting for a piece of watermelon - one of his favourite fruits. I had adopted him from SQ. His previous owners said he was a biter but he just needed some TLC (and a neuter). RIP little guy.

OdellPark2011003-1.jpg

ratsJan2011035.jpg

A few pictures for Ratsforever ..... Cohen in March 2009 ...

March3inthehammock.jpg

March3eatingcheeriosinthehammock.jpg

March17Coheninwheel.jpg

March17sweetlittkeCohen.jpg

Cohen and Beatrix meeting Ratsforever .....

March17twosweetrattiesintro-1.jpg

March17CohenandBeatrix.jpg

March17BeatrixandCohen.jpg

and a few more recent pictures from December 2011 ....

December24Lindas2upstairs.jpg

December27fourlittleexplorers-1.jpg

DecemberMerryChristmasfromDarwinEngelsCohenandKarl.jpg

December28underthetree.jpg

DecemberCohenandDarwinunderthetree.jpg

December28Cohen-2.jpg

:heart: Cohen

Back