Stroke? Old age? what?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anita1216

Fergus will be two in June (the 15th). Last week he stopped eating and drinking on his own. In a panic I have been making sure he gets liquids and for the first three days I fed him by hand, babyfood, in a syringe. :panic:

I dont know if he has had a stroke or whats going on. He will now eat babyfood off of a plate. He cant seem to chew food at all. I have yet to see him drink on his own. He was put into a one level cage with his brother, Wembley (who has CHF). I was afraid he would walk right off of a shelf and hurt himself.

He just seems so tired and lethargic and the vet was a bit baffled as well.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

His teeth look fine, although he does brux almost constantly. I know they do this out of stress and pain as well. I shouldnt even call it bruxing as it sounds like a very hard grinding, not at all what I have heard from him in the past.

I have done little more than worry and get up every four to five hours and make sure he is watered and at least trying to eat.

He is my most beloved, my favorite and my heart is breaking to see him this way.

The hard bruxing is also another sign of pt. :(
With PT, I've noticed no signs of pain, it seems that more and more they lose their motor skills, become confused but never do they seem in distress.

Ya know..I have thought this in passing and been far to much of a wimp to think it might be fact. The more I think about his symptoms, the more likely it is a PT.

Jorats, thank you. I suppose another trip to the vet is in order to see what we can do. Right now Im trying to swallow the golf ball sized lump in my throat..I think its tears trying to be let loose or something like that.

I'm so sorry anita... it really is hard when these things afflict our kids, especially a PT cause there really isn't much you can do.
Pred or dex might get him active again and eating, it seems to give them a big of perk for a few days, some even months before the tumour starts to grow again.

Big hugs to you!!

Back