Strange scabs under chin

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groundhog593

I noticed some tiny scabs underneath my girl Pip's chin yesterday...

What is strange about them is the pattern, like a beard of scabs (like chicken pox scabs). She wont let me get a good look at them.

I can upload pictures tonight, if anyone thinks they might know what is going on.
I haven't noticed her scratching them, but there is a lot of red discharge coming on her nose. It might be unrelated.

Allergy? I don't know. I don't have much experience with rat ailments.

The red discharge from her nose is likely porphyrin and is a sign that she is stressed and ill.

A picture of the scabs would help.

Scabs on the chin are almost surely a sign of mites. Chin, cheeks, head, neck and shoulders are a mite's fav place to be.

Can you give her a good feel over to see if there's anymore scabs?
If there's more then I would definitely treat her for mites (Ivermectin or Revolution are the recommended treatments).

Yep I agree... most surely scabs from too much scratching due to mites/lice. I'd strongly suggest you treat your whole crew and do a good clean up of the cage and rat play area.

Even though you cleaned everything, you need to treat them for the mites, i just had to get my guys treated because they were scabby :( I took my guys to the vet's where they got a shot in the bum, with a retreatment 10 days later when I brought them home before they got back in the cage, I washed everything in the hottest water I could possibly get.
I scrubbed the cage with hot water and vinegar and I threw out anything that was suspicious :evil: such as food and i froze their bedding to make sure :D then and only then did I put them back in their cage and 10 days later I did it all again and now they are happy and scab free :lol:

Rats get treated with revolution the same as cats - a bit on the back of their necks. The amount is based on weight.

Revolution will kill mites for 30 days so one application is usually enough.

We got Revolution, treated EVERYONE, threw away the old bedding (half of a BIG bag of CareFresh) and changed straight over to Fleece and Flannel. It was nothing to be embarassed about either. I know that I felt embarassed, "How could MY babies have gotten buggies?" but remember it isn't your fault andthere was nothing you could have done to prevent it. It happens to everyone. It sucks, but still, it's not your fault! :D

Back