Strange breathing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lj

Anyone heard of an extremely loud gronking noise?

This is about the dad from the baby accident. He is very timid and when he gets scared, he starts breathing really heavy. Apparently as soon as he was taken out of the cage that he was in with momma, he started this noise. It sounds like bruxing, but 1,000 times louder.

I had him out last night with the screamers because I thought that they would be good cagemates (until his boys are old enough to go with him) and he hid under my leg and started this noise. After a while, it stopped but then started again when they were chasing him. So I just held on to him and cuddled and he stopped again.

He's not sneezing or wheezing, or anything. I don't think it's a health matter, but maybe it is.

Oh yeah....That would be it. Would it be better to leave him by himself? Or integrate him with the screamers until the babies can go with him? Or just wait until the babies can go with him?

I haven't moved him to a bigger cage because he seems so scared.

lj said:
Oh yeah....That would be it. Would it be better to leave him by himself? Or integrate him with the screamers until the babies can go with him? Or just wait until the babies can go with him?

I haven't moved him to a bigger cage because he seems so scared.

He sounds like he needs gentle work. How are the screamers doing? Still screaming? They might stress each other out way too much if so.

Screamers are actually doing really good. Only scream once in a while (mainly when I pick them up).

He does need gentle work. I've been cuddling him lots.

If he's only doing it when there are changes, I'd say it was the fear bruxxing, too. If the Screamers are doing well over all, just take the intros really slow. He probably just needs to move at a much slower pace than most.

Will do. Thanks for all the advice.

I'm going to socialize him with me more before bringing out the screamers again. If he's still afraid, I think I'll just wait until his baby boys are big enough to go with him.

He may have the same problem with the baby boys as he's having with the Screamers.

Back