Still Sneezey

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

Hey all!

The rescue baby rat I got (Mikey's companion, and no, he doesn't have a name, and I know, STILL :oops: ) had started sneezing last Tuesday, and I noticed he was a little chuggy in his chest, lethargic, so I took him to a vet here in Des Moines where I am at for break. She gave me Baytril, which I expected. Mikey is perfectly fine, fatter, but fine.

Tonight I had them both out, and I noticed the baby was still sneezey, although I'm not sure if it was a "sick" sneeze or a nervous sneeze, as my nephew was handling him for the first time. But he is still chuggy in his chest, but not as bad, not nearly. He is eating like a horse, and I do hear them wrestling around in their cage, which they weren't for a bit when the baby was sicker. But the chuggy bothers me, that is for sure.

Would the Baytril have taken affect by now, or should I just calm down and wait it out? Should I take him back to the vet and ask for something else? I've read about using a nebuliser or inhaler on a rat, but I'm hesitant to say the least. I have access to both as my son is asthmatic, but, again.... It doesn't *sound* like a good idea at all. So is another vet visit in order?

He's been on Baytril since last Tuesday? I'd give it another few days before going back. He's young, he should respond well. But if he becomes lethargic again, straight back to the vet and ask for Zithromax, I find it works absolute wonders on young rats.

I'm with Jo. He's improved since being on the Baytril, so it's doing what it needs to be. Some infections are just a little harder to kill off than others.

I also agree with the Zithromax, or even trying Doxy, with the Baytril if he makes any signs of regressing. Zithro is my "big gun" for bad, chronic resp issues. It's always worked wonders for me.

Yes, he's been on Baytril since last Tuesday. He does look better and he acts much more normal, which is good, like you said.

How long should I wait before I take him in again? Maybe til Tuesday? Then it would have been two weeks.

I'll keep Zithromax and Doxy written down so I will remember to ask for one of those if I do have to go back.

Thanks, ladies! :) Much appreciated!

Well now he's wonky again! He refuses to move, even when I am prodding him. I know he is still walking, he walks to the water bottle and the food dish, but when he's laying he refuses to move when I open the cage, and usually that sends both of them scurrying for attention. He still bruxes when I stroke between his ears and his cheeks, the sweetie.

So we're going back tommorow. :?

Back