Sterile hairless?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco avenue

a friend of mine is convinced hairless rats are sterile. so she put a hairy male and a hairless female together(against my advice). and now she think pinky is pregnant. (i know shes pregnant i had weeones no more then 7 weeks ago). anyway all info would be nice, i heard some horror stories about having deformed babies and not being able to push them out and so on.

thank you.
a concerned friend.

Well I guess that poor little hairless girl will be a grand experiment, eh? See if she can deliver babies without dying in horrible pain herself? :cry3: See if they are 'normal' or if they are deformed before they are flushed or worse?
You know how horrible it is to hear that a human would mess with an innocent life like that? How crooked and cruel and uncaring can someone be?

So what kind of info can we help with beyond the fact the fact that your 'friend' is hopefully destined for the same treatment in the afterlife as she puts out in this one?
Do you have any particular questions?
(I'm looking at my beloved girls in my avatar and crying here - one I spent all kinds of money on and even more love & heartbreak trying to save, to think someone would kill one (not to mention her babies) for nothing but selfish curiosity kills me)

It's such a shame...
Hairless rats are not sterile. But... some can't lactate. I pray to god that this little one can and will be able to feed her babies. If not, all those babies will die of hunger. They won't be deformed, they won't be abnormal... they will be beautiful tiny new lives... if mom doesn't lactate, your friend will need to find another mom to be the surrogate mom.
You can check with rescues or even pet stores... these new lives are in her hands now. She needs to own up to it and give them the best possible lives.

Your friend obviously lacks any kind of good sense. I pray those poor babies survive, her ignorance makes that unlikely.

The mother needs good protiens and plenty of food available at all times. She should have nesting material and a quiet place to give birth. How old is the poor "experiment"? :redhot:

I hope your friend is prepared to pay vet bills and has a surrogate mom lined up just incase this poor girl is unable to nurse her babies.

:wallbang:

Next time your friend has a bad idea like this, recommend that she get on the internet and do some research.

Hopefully things go alright.

Yes, I really hope that mom & the babies are alright!
If I went off like a rocket it's just that us humans have to show our humanity by looking after the critters that are helplessly entrusted to us once we take them in our hands. We can't play with them or play 'what if' cause they can hurt & suffer same as we do - they just can't run like you or i would.
And I do have a soft spot for the nekked kids. The difference is that they need a little more protein than the furred ones. They are more prone to dental troubles, and stuff getting in their eyes cause they don't have eyelashes. And getting scratched by cagemates. Might have shorter lives depending on genetics. Less prone to mite problems.
And they need more warmth if it's cold.
If you take a kid and make their whole world yours then you are responsible for learning about their needs. From books or the net, not experiments on them. Pet rats are not lab rats, any more than humans are slaves. It happens, but we don't take critters or people into our lives and take their lives away that way. We make life the best we can for the spirits in our hands so that one day god will do the same for us, instead of torturing or hurting or playiing with us when we are helpless in his hands.

its not an experiment. its purely being ignorant. she was told that and believed it. she is now very worried about pinky (good for her i was worried for the several months shes had her and him together, and would tell her every time i saw her). i told her to separate mom from dad. start feeding mom extra protein ( i gave chicken broth thing pablum to maurice when she was pregnant. ) and give her nesting materials, paper towels and what not. i also gave her a couple of links that helped me during "my" pregnancy.

i thank you all for the information i received, i will forward it to her.

she has access to a surrogate mom ( she works in the pet shop that sold me "Pregnant Maurice" and i know one of theirs is currently feeding wee ones ).

P.S: my female rat is named maurice, yes i know its a mans name.. so? my other 2 are called Eve and #3 (named after the 3 of clubs because he has a similar pattern on his back) i will add pictures as soon as i have a camera.

:happydance: Good news everybody!. i started using emoticons! :happydance:

just kidding.

pinky had 13 healthy babies this afternoon.
shes doing fine
so are the babies.

thank you all for your help.

ill keep you updated as the weeks go on

Thank goodness momrat is ok. :happydance: Make sure she gets a good diet and some little breaks away from the babies.
So glad the babes are ok too. :joy:

Why don't you get your friend to join us so you're not stuck in the middle? Nobody has to worry about being judged here for past mistakes, we've all made them, we're just interested in helping each other not make any more. :D
We want to help the kids and lOOk at the kids!

Yep the internet would've been a good thing before this. THEN she may have learned that most "hairless" rats are not true genetic hairless (uncommon) but double rex, and VERY fertile.

Keep advising your ignorant friend, and hopefully we can help you find homes for these wee ones. :sad3:

Back