Squeeky breathing or happy to see me?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crumbilina

Hi Everyone!

I dont think that this is anything to worry about, BUT I tend to dwell on things when it comes to my sweeties, that its just better to ask instead of worrying.

Both of my two female ratties are doing this squeeky high pitched sound. It sounds like a squeek or whistle, but its really quiet and high pitched, I can only hear it when they are on my shoulder. It sometimes is in tune with their breathing and sometimes not (I think). Ive listened to their breathing and it doesnt seem laboured OR forced OR blocked in any way. So Im not 100% sure whether they are happy to be on my shoulder and letting me know that or if there actually is something wrong with their respiration.

They are cleaned out completely (wash down of cage and removal of bedding (carefresh)) 2 times each week, They dont sneeze often, they rarely shake their heads and they have no mucous buildup of any kind. Are there other things that I should be looking for or am I just over reacting?

haha... I think I might just be over reacting... But if someone scould let me know some telltale warning signs for respiratory illness that would be great. It will alteast put my mind at ease for a while.

Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!

Rats shouldn't make any sounds... sounds like you might be concerned, you wouldn't have posted otherwise right. :wink2:
I would most likely bring them to a vet to get a good listen to their lungs. You don't want it to be the start of myco and not treat it. Catching myco early is important.

Took the ratties to the vet and was told that it was nothing and that they are both fine. The squeeking my have just been from excitement.

I find that alittle hard to believe as I did get them at a pet store (I know... bad -- they were a surprise tho, didnt have a chance to get them from a breeder -- next ones will be, I promise :D) So I dont know... Its good if its true tho :)

I guess Ill just have to watch them

Thanks for the advice!!

Where do you live? Your vet may need a rattie refresher course.

Some rats really react to carefresh as it can get dusty... so changing that might help too.

I live in Guelph... and yup, she listened with a stethoscope. Said it was ok. I dont know :( They are acting like their normal selves, so i REALLY hope that she is right. I dont know any reputable vets in this area when it comes to rats.

As for changing the bedding... lol I think that I have the same problems with that as I do with a vet. Guelph seems to be a dead end town when it comes to pet stuff. Either that or I havent been looking well enough or I was spoiled by my old location with bazillions of pet places. Luckily this batch was nice and not dusty. I was surprised at how dry it was when I opened the bag but stil... Are there any suggestions for different bedding thats relatively easy to get and ok for ratties? Im almost out of carefresh so I can get new stuff next time I need it (In a couple weeks).

Thankya!

Carefresh could be the culprit here. It can be quite dusty.
We have a few members here from the Guelph area, maybe they might be able to suggest something.
I use fleece in my cages and litter pans with Yesterday's News which is great for odor control.

I noticed that when I used the regular brown Carefresh my girls would sneeze a lot. Then I switched to the Carefresh Ultra which has less dust than the regular and the sneezing stopped. Now I use Yesterdays News and Exquisicat paper pellet bedding and fabric and flannel for liners and no more sneezies. My boys, however have their pan filled with carefresh-the blue kind! LoL Their cage theme is blue-everything is blue and the funny thing is is that I didn't do that intentionally! :roll:

Odd but I was going to post a similar question when I signed in this morning. My Teal'c is doing this crackling and poppping sound when I go to the cage and when I take him out it gets worse. He has been to the vet, who listened to his lungs with a stethoscope and sais his lungs were clear. He developed this noise while still on Baytril too. He is active and still eating well (no other symptoms of illness) but I am atill a little panicy about the situation. any suggestions?
ohh he is only on fleece and YN too

It's a respiratory infection but in the nose, it starts in the nasal passages but will make it's way down to the lungs. You need to try a different med like Zithromax and keep him on it for at least 4 weeks. I've got a few doing this and I've noticed that Baytril doesn't help. Adding doxy to the baytril should work too.

Ok I think 'm going to find a new vet, or atleast try.... They should be on SOMETHING if this is the case...

Thanks for everyones help, and im glad im not the only one with this problem.

I'll let you know what happens when I see a new vet... I have exams today, but tomorrow ill start looking as soon as I wake up

So I switched them to Yesterday's News bedding and am STILL looking for a vet. For now they still seem ok but i think that i will be taking them to the vet that I take my cat to back home. They are AMAZING and I love going thereand they work with ALL animals, not just cats and dogs but pocket pets AND large animal... They are great! (there are a number of vets and each specializes, its not just one vet thats does all :thumbup: )

Just a question about the bedding tho. They KEEP eating it! They had consumed some carefresh, but not as must as this bedding. Is this bad for them? Is there anyway to get them to stop? They have TONNES of wooden toys and LOTS of food to chew/eat, but they STILL go after the bedding! Maybe it will die down as they get used to the bedding, right now i mixed some of it with the carefresh until they got used to it. Hopefully this will happen, its just funny cuz I take them out of the cage and take the piece of bedding from their little hands and say No! firmly. BUT when I put them back in they go straight for another piece. This goes on for a while till i have to go out or something else pops up.

Hopefully this is only a minor issue and will go away and that it wont hurt them. I have made sure that they have LOTS of water as i would expect that eating paper all day would make them thirsty.

Silly ratties! :roll:

Mine have all done that too, eat their bedding. I don't think it harms them at all. Have you noticed any difference in them since switching bedding?

Hiya

Sorry I took so long to reply to this :S Exams make me forget the world (but not my ratties!).

My ratties seem much happier since I switched bedding, they spend way more time in the bottom of the cage (possibly because they enjoy consuming the bedding)... and the smell is really undercontrol! :joy:

Their breathing has changed too, there is less squeeking and defiently less dust. I think that just by switching their breathing problems will wane a bit. I just dont like giving antibiotics if they aret needed just yet, and since it seems like they will be just fine for a bit I will wait for them. Mind you I am watching them extremely carefully, AND i found a small animal vet that I will be going to instead of my old one :). Their behaviour has not changed (except one of them enjoys sleeping on her head :p and seems to be doing it more frequently) So i think that they will be ok for a while :). They are still going to have a check up as SOON as I start my new job though.

Thanks for everyones help :) I think everything is under control (I was just alittle worried because I really didnt have a good vet lined up who was knowledgable about rattas)

Thanks Again!!!

Back