Sprained Leg...Tylenol?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slapdash

Hi,

My 5 month old male rat sprained his leg playing today and he's not using it much but it isn't swollen. He is crying in pain everynow and then though so I want to give him something so he's more comfortable while it's healing. Should I give him childrens tylenol, motrin, or ibuprofen? How many cc's per his weight? Thanks
Amanda

Hmm I had one of my rats do this once and I got childrens advil but in order to know the proper dose you will need the strength and your ratties weight. Also you want to make sure not to give him too much because if they don't feel the pain then they can end up hurting themselves more by using the limb.

I did some digging and found this in another thread...

lilspaz68 said:
jorats said:
According to Debbie D:

dose for ibuprofen according to Debbie D. 15 - 60 mg/Ib 2-4 times a day. Lower doses are for analgesia, higher for inflammation.

Interferes with clotting but only while it is in the system. Causes fluid retention and decreased blood flow to kidneys so is more risky to use in the elderly, with hreat or kidney disease, or with diuretics.

Mmkay 15-60 mg/lb = (damn I hate math!) converted to metric

33-132 mg/kg...woah thats a big difference.

aha!!! that was the 2nd recommended dosage on ratguide
15 mg to 60 mg/lb q4h; PO (low dose for analgesia, high dose for anti-inflammatory effect

So confusing when there's such a large range. :(

from viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1319&p=19800&hilit=advil+dose#p19800
Hope it helps!

Back