Splaying back legs

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodentmama

I've owned a dozen rats over the years, Mo is the first to splay his back legs open when you pick him up. Every other one gripped my arm or hand. Anyone else have a splayer and not a gripper? He came from a petstore so his genetics probably isn't the greatest. He walks fine and runs fine but you pick him up and this awkward splay happens. This is a first for me.

I have a rat who does this too! I just got her about a month ago from the SPCA. it's really weird to have them not get a grip on you.

When you pick up a rat from on top, fingers/thumb under their arms, their feet will do one of three things, tuck in, grip or splay. I've had a couple of splayers but almost all mine now tuck.

There are some ideas that this behavior can be "genetic", though not necessarily indicative of "bad" genetics. I personally suspect it is also a learned behavior.

I have seen some animals purposefully bred for excellent temperaments who splayed, and others who tucked. I've also known animals from pet stores (not selected for anything other than production) who tucked, as well as splayed. Sometimes it also seems to depend on exactly how you pick up the animal (in the same general way that jorats described). I've seen other animals that started out splaying, then "grew out of it", and others who started out tucking then decided splaying was "easier". I've had a few rats grip, but in my own experience that was usually with nervous, anxious rats that didn't quite trust people.

What would Patrick be?
Most of the times he tucks his feet up to his body, but sometimes he hangs funny:

Is this a 'splayer'?
2009_0802Ratz0007.jpg

I walk around with Patrick like he is a handbag LMAO he just hangs there :shock:

I know what Sid is.. hes a pain-in-the-butt-er. He windmills with his tail and slaps you around the arms or face with it (depending how close you are), grabs the cage with his front feet and pulls, and kicks and screams his head off. Over dramatic or what!!! Thats why i just wait for him to come out the cage door lmao

This is my splayer (not the best pic)

and this isn't how i hold her when she splays, i use use 2 hands and couldn't take a pic at the same time, lol. i do think she is starting to grow out of it though

dogs...that is EXACTLY what Mo does. Flings his legs out like he is going to grab a doorway or something. Even if I try to scoop his hind end, he still pushes his feet out. Very strange. Now when I pick up the babies they seem to do it too but relax into a tuck or grip position. Perhaps it is a young rat thing? Very strange.

Ahhh Sid splays then. Patrick, i can pick up with one hand. Sid needs two hands and some distance because he thinks he is a helicopter (he has ALWAYS been like this, since tiny)

Back