Softening the intensity of digital camera flash

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

Last year I was given a really wonderful new camera for Christmas. I can't control the intensity of the flash, so I went out and bought a diffuser. When I got it home I realized that it was meant to be used with a camera with a hot shoe. The diffuser was way too big for the little flashes on the typical non-SLR digital cameras, so I posted about my dilemma on another forum.

Someone told me that she made a little flash cover from tissue paper and experimented with the thickness until she found something that worked.

The other day I was taking photos of ratties (what else?) and the flash was too harsh. So I put a layer of kleenex over the flash after pre-setting the focus and light. It worked pretty well (that's how I took this avatar photo).

It is a bit of a juggling act, holding a rat distractor in one hand, the camera in the other, all the while manipulating the controls and holding a piece of kleenex over the flash.... Good for increasing manual dexterity!

Great idea Godmother. For some reason, my camera's flash is insanely too strong. All my white rats are usually washed out. I'm going to try that kleenex trick.
KristyR, where did you buy that? That might be the thing I need!!

I use a piece of Scotch tape, the kind that's sort of cloudy. It works perfectly most of the time, but occasionally I need to cover a bit of the flash bulb. I've got a much less fancy camera, though.

Hmm nice idea! I'll hvae to try something like that as my flash pictures are way too bright, and my unflash pics are yellow and blurry... commence camera experiments!

I have had that exact thing too. I used a piece of paper over the flash, or I have covered half of the flash with my finger. lol
I now have a setting on my camera that is set for taking pictures in snow, it seems to minimize the flash and I have been able to take pictures of Crystal with no problem.

Good Idea, I should try that :) I always find the flash startling to my guys so much so to the point that as soon as my camera makes it's turning on noise, Coal runs :(

My kids are such camera hogs, they don't mind even the undiffused flash! I swear, I get out the camera, and they start posing and saying "CHEEEESE!!!"

Back