Sneezing when playing in hay, then stops - is that ok?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lexi33

Hi. I couldn’t find an existing thread that seemed to answer this, so have started this one - hope that’s ok. We have two gorgeous 8 week old boys who are settling in brilliantly. We’ve set up a play area and included a box of timothy hay for them to dig in, which they really enjoy. However, one of them starts repeatedly sneezing whilst in the hay and then stops completely within a few minutes, so my question is - should we let him continue playing in the hay once a day, or a couple of times a week, or should we not be letting him into the hay at all? Thanks in advance for your advice. I’ve put a photo below for cuteness value - it’s the light coloured one who is the sneezer! 😊
A25C2B38-EED6-4339-AFC9-8658DD008E72.jpeg
A25C2B38-EED6-4339-AFC9-8658DD008E72.jpeg

Hay can be very dusty so I would hold off on letting him play in it and see if the sneezing is truly gone.
Hi. Thanks a lot for your reply. I should’ve said that we’d taken away the hay for about a week to check if he kept sneezing (which he didn’t), and then yesterday got it out again, so the instant sneezing was very noticeable. It definitely does go away again after a few minutes of being away from the hay, which is why I’m unsure about whether the value of the play he enjoys outweighs the few minutes’ sneezing or whether anything that causes temporary sneezing is always best avoided... Thanks 😊

Back