sliced ear! suggestions?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vixxie

My husband and I not to long ago had 2 little rex sister join or group and everything has gone well. They are injoying the big cage with the rest of the pack, but late last night we had a accident. It was snack time and my husnad and I were bring the girls some chopped up carrots and apples when one of the new girls (willow) got under foot of Abby and had her little ear sliced :gaah: Like any rattie parents we freaked and pulled her out and washed it and placed a steri-strip (there like a sticky stich) on the back side of her ear. This morning everything still looks all clean and not inflamed but the 2 side will not stay together :cry3: We arn't sure what steps if any to take now, other than keeping it clean. I called our local vet and they don't normally deal with pet rats and will call me back. It's over an hour drive one way to get her to kitchener and I'm worryed at this point its to late to get stiches. Now I sit here waiting for my vet to call me back, and preped to call my husband at work.

Has anyone else had this happen?

sorry if my spelling/grammer is a mess

Ears bleed like crazy, and there will be no way to keep a bandage on such an easily accessible place. Clean it up (if there's a scab don't touch it, and just let it heal). She might have a split in her ear but she'll be fine. Although you can keep an eye on it for redness and infection.

I have a girl who has a whole notch missing after a fight.

Well my vet just called back they do have a vet on staff that has worked with pet rats, but they wanted to call her before giving me any info. But like allways I got worked up about it more than I should have :oops:
She said in a nut shell the same thing, and to bring Willow in if it starts to look inflamed, or if she seems like she just can't get her inner ear as clean as she would like. Poor thing :hugs: Just goes to show how much more I have to learn about caring for ratties. I added a photo its not great cause my camera is old but you can see how it sliced. I think it looks worse cause she is a dumbo.

Ouch, poor sweetie. I've had a couple of rats like that and it healed up on its own although the ear will stay like that.

That's a good slice, all the way down... poor thing, I doubt that she even notices it now... but since it's a good length, definitely keep an eye on it for infection.

Here's a pic of my Noodle, this happened sometime ago and it healed up nicely. I've always had at least one rat in each colony with a war injury to the ear. Adds character if you ask me. :wink2:

Noodleearbite.jpg

Suri has a tiny chunk missing too! Rose got hers split real bad, it was like skined but deep and curved...I can't even explain it but it was a bleeder..oddly it was split in a way that it was able to heal up perfectly, if you looked at Rose today you would never know she ever hurt her ear...

Awe poor baby. That looks like it hurt. But, like everyone says it gives her character. :giggle: My rat Bonnie, who was blind got a little too close to my male Osiris and he took a big chunk or her ear. :( Poor thing. She only had half of her left ear. But it gave her more reasons for mommy to baby her and I don't really think she minded.

Back