sleeping in the litter box - help?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temblabamomo

Any tips for getting big old lazy stubborn boys out of the litter box and into one of the bazillion hammocks I've provided? The litter box is Max's new favorite place to sleep. It wouldn't be such a bother except when he comes out for playtime he frequently has poops squished and dried into his fur, and hugging and kissing a poopy rat is just...yuck.

They've got several hammocks at various levels, in different sizes, and several other hidey nest and boxes. But lately he just wants to lounge amongst the poops. *sigh*

Grossness aside, if I change the litter every day, is he going to be breathing in harmful fumes if he sleeps in there? I know ammonia from urine would be bad, but they don't pee in the box (they save that for my lovely hammocks.) Does ammonia build up from poops as well?

Not much you can do. If that's where they want to go...they'll go there. I've always have one or even two sleeping in the litter box. Not always but a lot of the time.

I don't know if there's any way to get him out of the litter box (you're not the only one with this issue) but as long as you keep it clean it should be fine. It may be he does not like hammocks, have you tried offering a small basket/bin with fabric scraps for him to sleep in?

victoria said:
I don't know if there's any way to get him out of the litter box (you're not the only one with this issue) but as long as you keep it clean it should be fine. It may be he does not like hammocks, have you tried offering a small basket/bin with fabric scraps for him to sleep in?

He's always loved his hammies, lately the allure of the box just calls to him :giggle: Every box or basket full of scraps is emptied within seconds because Maz drags everything out to bury the foodbowl (which is weird because the bowl is always empty on account of Maz also stashing all lab blocks in his favorite igloo....maybe putting paper shreds and chew toys in the food bowl is supposed to fool me into thinking he's not stashing food? idk. Rat psychology baffles me sometimes...)

As long as there's no serious health issues I need to worry about, Maxie can sleep in the box all he wants. That was my main concern. Thanks :D

Scythe said:
Whats the weather like where you live? I always find one of my boys sleeps in the litter box when its really warm.

I was thinking the exact same thing. It's really warm here so all of my rats have shoved the aspen away so they can sleep on the metal pan.

smilez_n_hugs said:
Scythe said:
Whats the weather like where you live? I always find one of my boys sleeps in the litter box when its really warm.

I was thinking the exact same thing. It's really warm here so all of my rats have shoved the aspen away so they can sleep on the metal pan.

Hmm, never thought of that. The litter pan is plastic, but I suppose that would be cooler than the fleece liners or hammocks. It's been in the upper 90s (F) here lately, so maybe you're onto something there. The only other hard, possibly cool surface in the cage right now is a cardboard box, he lays there quite a bit too. Will put one of the plastic bins/baskets back in today and see if it he uses it.

LOL that used to bug the hell out of me! When I had Nero, Octavian and Constantine every now and then I would find all 3 of them snuggling in the litter boxon top of there poopy! :? LOL they didnt mind smelling like poop but I sure did.

Rattus said:
LOL that used to bug the hell out of me! When I had Nero, Octavian and Constantine every now and then I would find all 3 of them snuggling in the litter boxon top of there poopy! :? LOL they didnt mind smelling like poop but I sure did.

The image of 3 of them snuggled up together is cute, but the fact that it's in the litter box is just...I don't know if I should laugh or be grossed out :lol: Max's little brothers adore him and they always want to do what he does and go where he goes...so I shouldn't be surprised that Max AND Maz were sleeping in there when I got off work yesterday. I'm sure Morrissey will be joining them any day now. Silly boys.

Back