sleep, please

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ewa

For the first couple weeks I had my rats they slept through the night fine. Now , Sophee won't let me sleep! Instead of sleeping my usual 12am - 8 am , I slept 8am - 1pm , Not good! I go over to the cage and do one of these :stickpoke: "ummm , excuse me , ? can you QUIET DOWN!!" And she is all like :shock: "..." then BAM back to doing whatever it is that is SO LOUD!
So , I was wondering anything and EVERYTHING i can do to try to make them not make that much noise , at least for a couple hours during the night. I need ALL the suggestions I can get!

Have you tried moving the cage to a more darker side of the room and drapping the cage with a cover?? I had to do that and it worked for me. Sometimes a good snuggle before bed time helps... Or even a nice and cozy warm place to cuddle inside.... Hope any of this helps you... :) :hugs:

my girls were real noisy at night too, i put a box full of newspaper strips and toilet paper in their cage, and they slept in it all night, and still do. it keeps them really quiet at night.

Ewa said:
For the first couple weeks I had my rats they slept through the night fine.

Be grateful for that. :)

Seriously, being mostly nocturnal, they´ll never be really quiet at night. They´ll kind of adapt to you schedule, but you´ll need to be deep sleeper if you´re going to keep them in your room. I got used to my two girls back when I was younger but now, I´ve got my boys in the living room.

If you can´t move them, do NOT go to their cage or talk to them to get them to be quiet. They´ll learn that by making noise, they can get your attention, and that´s exactly what you don´t want them to learn. Ignore the noise and think of it as practice for a day when you´ll share your bedroom with somebody who snores badly. ;)

haha! It is a good thing my boyfriend does not snore! For the past few night I have used earplugs and it seems to be working , Thank goodness! :joy:

LOL Moon.

My rats are in my room and I found that eventually you get used to their "noise". I figured this out the hard way seeing as when Rory was here I got very little fulfilling sleep. I can hear my rats when I sleep but I don't find them disruptive...in fact I think it's great to have them in the room becuase then I know if something is going wrong.

Rats are nocturnal (*sorryXD crepuscular) animals, so I had the same problem with my ratties...
And i found a solution: creating a daily routine with them!
I stopped feeding them at dinner time, i do it now at lunch time, so i use food as an excuse to wake them up about 12 o clock. Them when i come back from school, about 18 o clock, i talk to them, open the cage... wake them!... Then i play with them before bedtime, about midnight. This way, they spend much more time awaken during the day, and so when i go to sleep they are sleeping as well.

Right XD
Well, mine were kinda nocturnal cause they were up all night lol
But now they're back in the good way, they wake up at 5/6 in the morning ^_^

Back