Since I've been separating them, Layla seems a lot meaner

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bundyrats

Hi, just a quick one...I've noticed that Layla has been grooming Whinny's sores on her back and if you have read my post about Whinny:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=32387

Then you would know I'm trying everything to get her sores to heal, so once I saw Layla doing that I started separating them. The only thing is that I only have three rats and so I keep Whinny and Chloe together but Layla is all on her own. I alternate them between the cage and the whole rat room, so one night Layla will have the run of the room and the two others will be in their cage and then during the day they swap.
In the morning for about an hour and from when I get home at night they are all together though and it's during this time that I have noticed Layla being a little brat with both Whinny & Chloe; jumping on their backs and necks and gnawing away - causing general annoyance and mum (me) to freak out, especially when it's on Whinny's tender sores. It makes me want to lock Layla up but then am I promoting this whole thing? I don't want to be mean to her. OR should I consider getting her a friend so she has someone to keep her company....I know it's not always that easy though and I could be in a world of grief with intros.....

So is this normal behaviour her being a pest because she's being separated for most of the time?
And what should I do?

Unfortunately, this does sound normal for her and part of her personality. I would probably find her a buddy, a younger stronger little buddy for her to play with at all times. This way, you won't have to worry about Layla being on her own.

I'm hoping to keep them together eventually once Whinny heals completely but I guess GGMR is always ever-present. There are never any rescues in this town though and even the pet shops don't often have rats.
So trying to find someone with the right characteristics to suit Layla is not an easy thing. The right girl will just have to present herself to me at the right time.

Back