sick little one

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OceanEyes117

My little girl luna is sick. I didn't see her this morning, but my boyfriend said she was kinda coughing and having trouble breathing, and she had some brownish gunk around her mouth. Her eyes are kinda closed and she is very slow moving. She normally scampers around and doesn't settle down for pets, but today she just let me pick her up and hold her, so I know something is up. We are going to take her into the vet tonight or tomorrow, but I don't know what to do for her now and I'm kinda worried about her. Any help or advice would be great. -Kadee

perhaps a steam room would help her a bit in the meantime? you go into the bathroom, close the door and run the hot water then just sit in there with your rat and the steam. it is supposed to help clear out the lungs a bit to help make breathing easier. i heard that small amounts of dark chocolate can also help while you are waiting to see the vet. neither is a cure of course and she will still need medication to fix the problem but they may help make her comfortable while she waits to see the vet.

thanks. i will definitely try that. I got her to eat some cheese and a tiny bit of lettuce, and she seems to have perked up a bit. Im still going to take her in, but she seems likes getting better already. Hopefully she wont make me eat my words.

I wouldn't give her any cheese, dairy products makes more mucus and she doesn't need that right now. Maybe a little bit of very dark chocolate but your best bet is to take her to a vet for meds. You will be catching the infection early and Luna has a better chance or recovery. Good luck with your sweetie.

So we went to the vet, and man are they expensive! He gave Luna an injection of Baytril and some more for me to give her orally twice a day. She seems much better then yesterday, and she didn't even cry when she got her shot, brave little one that she is. Thanks for all your help. I have some more health and behavior questions and issues, but I'll make a new post not in the ER section with those queries. Thanks everybody!

Back