Shaking head

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam

About 6 weeks ago one of my two rats (female, about 7 months) starting shaking her head a lot (like a wet dog) and picking at her ears. The vet gave her some baytril and told me to give it to her daily for 7 days. I continued to use the baytril until it was all gone, so she got a 12 day course of meds instead.

6 days ago I noticed that she was shaking her head again. She seems completely fine, not sick at all and it's been almost a week since I noticed the head shaking.

Could she have another ear infection, or would it have shown other symptoms by now?
What else could be wrong?

12 days might not have been long enough to rid of the infection. Typically we like to treat our rats for a month before stopping.
There could be other reason for the head shaking like a mass growing in the ear, excess was, polyps, abscess growth and even brain tumour.
How old is the rat?

Only if it's constant, once in a while is ok but if you see her doing it repeatedly then something is definitely bothering her.

Back