Scabs. Mites?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KristyR

This morning when I had all the boys out playing, I noticed an increased amount of scabbing on just about all of them. I have been noticing scabs here and there, but nothing I'd ever worried about till I saw the major increase in them today. Roger's are the worst. He has little scabs all over the left side of his face. At first I thought he must have been in a fight, but it (slowly) dawned on me that it is probably mites. I've never had a case of mites before. Been reading about treatments for the last half hour.

This week has been more than a little overwhelming rat-wise. First Simon died, then the worry about his grieving brothers, the myco flare-ups, and now mites.

Ugh, mites are a pain.
It sure does sound like a very nasty case of mites. Usually it starts with just a tiny bit of scabs.
Each time any of my rats have any small scabs, I do a mite treatment.

Yep sounds like mites, I am dealing with that right now. Although as per usual Ruby is really the only one with them.

Yeah, I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. It absolutely didn't even occur to me at all until all the tiny scabs on poor Roger's face... and even then it took me an hour of trying to figure out who he had gotten in a fight with before I thought :doh: mites!

You might also want to check their back toenails. One of my two had scabs all over the left side of her face and her neck area. We thought the other one was beating up on her and separated them. when they still hadn't gone away like a week or two later, I thought mites. Before giving her the treatment we had and spending 40 bucks on Revolution, I trimmed her back nails on that side, just in case, and literally mere days, 2 maybe 3, almost all the scabs are gone. You might wanna give it a try...

Back