Saffi - July 2005 to May 30, 2008

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

She was happy for just over a month after her sister left. She and I became even closer than before…and we were a pretty tight pair already. :) Last night after Bradley left, her eyes changed, she became edgy and a bit frantic in her movements and she looked unhappy so I knew it was time. She was soo serene up to this point. She would lie on my chest late at night, and I would stroke her until she bruxxed and then fell asleep (waking up if I stopped stroking of course :roll:). She was so sweet.

Saffi and Fable came to me through wonderful moon and as they arrived all stinky and uncared for at the age of 2 years, I only hoped that they would find some peace and contentment for a few months more.
Well they both had their own ideas on that!! Saffi quickly became one of those rats that would stare you in the eyes so intensely that you felt she was trying to speak or at least convey something vital to you. She would lie on my chest and stare at me with her bright beautiful black eyes. Saffi is dutch for Wisdom and with those eyes she really fit her name. :D She would come running no matter what, if I came around. She loved me but she also loved her sister and protected much more timid Fable the best she could. She didn’t like any other rats though. She huffed and puffed as well as Miss Moth used to… :cheeky:

So yet another special little girl has left me, and moon and I are grieving hard tonight. :sad3:
Moon, just remember that if you hadn’t gone and called that guy and picked up the stinky ladies for us, they would never have lived as long as they did. Saffi was 35 months old this month and that is a wonderful proud age to reach. :thumbup:

First home, when she was only called the Variberk girl
variberkgirliscurious.jpg

“Don’t look sister! I have no idea where we are now”
variberkstandingonhoodie.jpg

My first kisses from The Variberk Girl
v-berklickbath.jpg

Smiling
SaffismilingonFablesept23.jpg

Everyone loves the Rat Basket
Saffi-smileyoureoncameraOct21.jpg

She ended up with the prettiest rusting I have seen…I called her a Wannabe Hoodie. :lol:
Saffi-issheahoodiewannabe.jpg

THIS is how I will always remember my SaffSaff..I had whispered her name :D
ThisisthesideIamusedto.jpg

And my beauty after Fable left…older, thinner but still a bright happy girl…I had woken her up
Saffi-yawnmay15.jpg

I see her with her sister happy and healthy once again. :heart:
She’s in very good company at the Bridge.

I remember speaking to the woman in the house briefly. I asked if the rats were friendly, she assured me "oh yes, my daughter used to play with them all the time." Used to.. how sad.

She had the girls ready to go, in a cardboard box made to hold books, with hand holes that she had put duct tape over *rolls eyes*

I brought them to the car and remembered Shelagh's words... "Are you prepared to get some rats that may not be so nice?".. I could not drive off without having at least tried to bond with them, so I pulled off the duct tape and braced myself... what could I be met with? A pair of wild eyed rats that would lunge at me the moment I pulled the lid off? Then in the hole where the duct tape had been I saw a nose curiously sniffing. It was Saffi's and I knew instantly that nasty rats were not what I had with me in the car.

When I pulled the lid off the box and got my first kisses from Saffi I was instantly in love. Fable was sweet, but understandably nervous... Saffi was a character through and through. It was so hard for me to put the lid back on the box so I could drive, I just wanted to play with them! But I had to, and as I drove I popped my fingers into the box handle to receive more sniffs and licks from Miss Saffi.

I did not get to spend a long time with the girls but am thankful for the time I did receive. I was not thankful for the smell the left behind in my office at work, though! It was nearly a week before the smell was completely gone.

When I handed them off to Shelagh I was a little reluctant to let Saffi go, but I will never regret that I did. She got the best retirement possible, and now is reunited with her pretty little sister.. enjoy the afterlife ladies!

What a very sweet story.....It is wonderful that her and her sisiter ended up in such a great home. What very beautiful girls. I have to say I laughed out loud when I saw the one of her covering her sisters eyes......"don't look sister" that was so adorable....

She was a strong character... but knew she was going to a newer and better life.
Rats don't live long... so they deserve all the love and care they can get in that short amount of time.
They really are no trouble... they really only want our love. Like Saffi, her eyes would implore you to love her, to understand her, to accept her. And she was.
I want to say I'm so sorry Shelagh, but the more appropriate words are congratulations Shelagh, on giving these girls what they needed, on being the one they will talk about when they reach the others. On being the one they loved and felt loved by.
Big hugs to you...

jorats said:
I want to say I'm so sorry Shelagh, but the more appropriate words are congratulations Shelagh, on giving these girls what they needed, on being the one they will talk about when they reach the others. On being the one they loved and felt loved by.
Big hugs to you...

Hugs to both you and Moon. What a beauty she was. :hugs:

Oh gosh, you must be having a tough time Shelagh.

For the loss of Saffi I say, rest in peace sweetie. :heart:

Back