Rufio ? - 5/16/08

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arlene

Rufio died on Friday, May 15th, about 6:30 pm. I'd like to say it was an easy passing, but it wasn't. I found him in the cage under the ramp. I thought he was gone then. Frank came in and I handed Rufio to him. When Frank took him he started
My precious Rufio died on Friday, May 15th, about 6:30 pm. I'd like to say it was an easy passing, but it wasn't. I found him in the cage under the ramp. I thought he was gone then. Frank came in and I handed Rufio to him. When Frank took him he started breathing again.

At this point, I knew he wasn't going to go as quickly and as easily as I first thought. Frank held him for a while, but became upset and started asking a lot of questions as Rufio was jerking around and breathing what I call the death rattle. There is a definite smell to dying and I could smell it with Rufio. I gently took him into my arms and wrapped him in a baby blanket. I told Frank that I would hold him until he was gone because I felt that I was more emotionally equipped to do so. Frank wandered off with tears in his eyes. I've done this many times before. This was the most difficult for many reasons.

It took Rufio what seemed like forever to pass. When he was quite, I held him close and told him how much I loved him and that things would be better for him once he was out of his body. When he was thrashing and tossing and jerking., I held him loosely in the baby blanket. It was extremely difficult to take. If I could have taken the pain and hurt away from him, I most certainly would have, but I knew that wasn't possible, so I stayed with him, hopefully comforting him as much as possible, until he took his last breath.

There are no words adequate to explain how much we loved Rufio or how very special he was. He didn't think he was a rat. He acted more like a little dog. He would always come when we called. He would sit in our lap and be petted for the longest time. He craved affection.

He was definitely unique, always doing things that were unexpected and often hilarious. I remember one time in particular that Frank was on his hands and knees scrubbing the floor. Rufio went over and climbed on Frank's calf and "rode around" there while Frank washed the floor.

Frank often plays video games. Rufio would sometimes patiently wait for him to stop and give him attention and other times he wouldn't. I often heard Frank say from the other room, "Rufio, stop! Can't you see I am trying to fight a war here?" It was hillarious. Rufio didn't care about the "war" he wanted attention right then!

There are many, many stories about this amazing little guy but I am too emotional to remember them right now. Of all the rats we have had, Rufio was the one who got into our hearts and souls. He's the only one that we both asked to come back to us in another incarnation if possible. The pain in our hearts is still very intense. His passing has left a massive hole which will take a long time to learn to deal with. We miss him more than we can say.

Here are a few pictures of this very special rat:

FrankandRufio.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee289/arlenegrey/Rufiorelaxing.jpg[/IMG
]
[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee289/arlenegrey/Rufio_0002.jpg

Oh Arlene, I'm so sorry. That experience you went through with Rufio's passing, I sure know it well. When it takes so long, it's like time stands still and you hear nothing but him.
Big hugs to you Arlene and Frank.

I'm so sorry. He was a special little guy, for sure. Watching them suffer at the end takes a long time to forget, so I hope that your treasured memories will help.

Back