Rue had surgery, but got no meds....!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virgo2882

Rue got neutered yesterday ...... everything went good.....
I asked if he needed any meds and she said no that he had some that will last the day and that she did not want to give him anything else

Well today he has been grinding his teeeth..... and i read that is a sign of stress or pain......
are rats supposed to get meds for sure after surgery???
I dont want my poor baby in pain
Im calling first thing in the morning and getting something for him.... he keeps picking at his incision as well....
im scared

Grinding the teeth or bruxing can be a sign of stress but it's usually a sign of contentment and happiness. Are there any other signs that lead you either way. Is he walking around normal and eating and seem fine, or is he acting very sore and not himself. That should help you determine whether the bruxing is stress or happiness.

I don't know about the no meds thing. I have never dealt with a surgery before.

Yes, he should have metacam for 3 days after surgery as rats can have severe abdominal cramping.

I changed vets over this as I was given no meds and had 2 boys in horrible, horrible pain.

Antibiotics are also a good idea as he may get a scrotal abscess.

See http://www.ratfanclub.org for info.

See how your boy is this morning. If she still seems unhappy (he might grind his teeth, stretch out funny and suck in his gut, and even press his Ouchy bits on the floor while walking and standing, then he will need pain meds. IF your vet won't give them, you can always buy and give some Infant Liquid Ibuprofen. It will help the discomfort a bit.

I never give my rats pain meds after their initial shot from the vet. I have not seen any of my rats needing it at all. If the rat is chewing at his sight, if extremely poufy and lethargic, then they would need the pain meds for sure. But all my rats bounce back within hours of their neuter.

That is the same here, Jo.

I get metacam for 3 days after spays, but not after neuters. By the next day after a neuter they are completely back to normal.

jorats said:
I never give my rats pain meds after their initial shot from the vet. I have not seen any of my rats needing it at all. If the rat is chewing at his sight, if extremely poufy and lethargic, then they would need the pain meds for sure. But all my rats bounce back within hours of their neuter.

I'm the same as Jo and Lise. I've never done pain meds after the initial dose and I've never had a rat even notice he got his man-bits lopped off.

I will normally not give the Metacam after neutering either, but I have had a couple of cases where the boys have been clearly in pain after the initial shot wears off. In those cases I have given a couple of days worth after. It is easier just to get it from the vet before you leave, just in case, than to have to go back and get it once you realize that they are still in pain.
You just have to keep an eye on them and watch their behaviour. Like humans, they will have different reactions to surgery and have different pain thresholds.
I always give antibiotics, though. I give them until I am sure that the wound has closed and there is no chance of anything getting in and causing infection.

Back