RSPCA let down?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryelle

I rarely read the newspaper, but i was lining the bottom of the parrot cage with the old newspaper from the last weekend and came across this article. To me, this is BEYOND a joke

------------------------------------------------------
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1182708/Man-kicked-dog-death-let-RSPCA.html

Man who kicked a dog to death is let off by RSPCA
By Luke Salkeld
Last updated at 9:52 AM on 16th May 2009

Arguing with his girlfriend, Norman Llewellyn became so incensed that he took it out on her Yorkshire terrier.
He kicked Phoebe the dog so hard that he killed her instantly.
Police issued 52-year-old Llewellyn with a caution. However, after investigating the case, the RSPCA decided not to prosecute him.

article-1182708-04F06F8F000005DC-842_468x317.jpg

Norman Llewellyn kicked to death Phoebe the Yorkshire terrier belonging to his now ex-fiancée Julie Blyth, right

In a decision that has caused outrage, the animal charity said the death was so quick that the little dog did not suffer - and therefore no cruelty charge could be brought.
Phoebe died after Llewellyn and Julie Blyth, 51, began arguing at her home in Cirencester, Gloucestershire, in November.
She was his fiancee at the time and he had bought Phoebe for her as a puppy, three years previously.
After the terrier died, Gloucestershire police were called in.
But officers decided not to prosecute as Llewellyn, of Hertfordshire, showed remorse and had no previous convictions.
He was still facing action from the RSPCA but following a post-mortem examination by a vet the animal charity decided not to bring any cruelty or ill-treatment charges.
Although 'deeply troubled by the violent death' of Phoebe, the charity explained: 'Evidence of suffering is necessary for cruelty to be proven in the courts.
'And as an expert ruled that suffering did not occur, animal welfare offences could not be considered.'

article-1182708-04F06A1A000005DC-205_468x351.jpg

Phoebe died from a single kick to the head. But the RSPCA cannot prosecute Mr Llewellyn for cruelty because the dog 'did not suffer'

Critics remained unimpressed, however. Beverley Carpenter, Miss Blyth's sister, said: 'We think it is disgusting.
'It seems no one wants to know - and we are upset he has got away with it. What sort of message does it send out to people?'
'My sister is heartbroken. She never had children and this little dog was her baby. I am so angry that this man has just been given a caution.'

The couple are no longer together. Author and animal lover Jilly Cooper said: 'It is irrelevant whether it was one kick or two.
'Killing an animal is killing an animal, whether it is quick or slow. At the very least he should be fined.'
The novelist, who campaigned to have a monument erected in London in memory of animals which died during wartime service, called for the charity to rethink its decision.
The RSPCA said: 'The Society shares the public's concern and frustration. But of course we can only act within the law. This case is exceptional.
'It is vital the public understands violence against animals is not acceptable and will be pursued rigorously.

Unfortunately, there are no murder charges when it comes to animals. The best an SPCA can hope for is animal cruelty and they know they wouldn't be able to prove that with this case. So that @ssh0le gets off.

yes. It is just such a shame. No amount of anger or frustation at somebody should mean you can let it out on any living creature - wether that is a human being or an animal.

They said this guy showed remorse. I would be sickened with myself if i did anything like that, even if the animal didnt die

this is horrible. he should go to anger management class. and pay a fine to go to an animal shelter like 50000 at lest. that make me mad mad mad. if i had a lover do that i would kick them in the head.

Back