Roger - update: 5/31

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roger hates his medicine. I keep trying different things to mask his meds, hoping I will find something that I don't have to traumatize us both trying to get down him. With all the other boys, I have to almost pry the syringe out of their mouths when it's empty!

Roger is eating and drinking on his own. Not quite with his usual enthusiasm for food, but better than a few days ago, for sure. All the boys sound great this morning... no wheezing, sneezing, or rattling. Roger's breathing still doesn't look quite right. His sides are still moving in and out a little too much with each breath. Like he's still having to work a bit, but even that is still much, much better than a few days ago. I weighed him this morning, and he weighs exactly the same as he did on Tuesday, so at least he's not losing weight. He looked to me like he might have lost a little, but the scale says no, so maybe that's just my mind playing tricks on me because I'm still worried about him.

So far I've tried Ensure - all flavors, banana mash with a little vanilla Ensure, chocolate syrup mixed with water, and strawberry jam.

Oh - and baby food.

My Archie is like your Roger, he knows when I'm hiding his meds and will refuse to eat. So the poor guy gets it squirted into his mouth. He does get agitated but it's over and done with fast.

Yep, I always end up having to squirt it in his mouth while he's trying to push the syringe away and turn his head away. I always try to give him a treat afterwards, but he won't take it from me. I think he's just trying to make me feel bad, because he'll eat the same thing if I lay it down in the cage and let him go get it himself. I give him lots of extra loving, so he knows that when momma picks him up it's not always going to be yucky medicine time. God I love that rat!!

Poor sweetie pie. I wonder if he'd fall for the honey and bread trick? SQ sometimes puts the meds, laced with honey, on a small piece of bread and then folds the bit of bread into a ball. Most rats love bread and they start eating it before they realize it has meds.

Mine are crazy about their meds now. My secret is a drop of olive oil, two drops of Strawberry Nesquick, and a bit of bland baby cereal (Organic Rice cereal is good because of the low sodium).

I have had success in the past (Rhonda was extremely finicky about her meds) using a bit of chicken broth, laced with something very sweet like honey or Lyle's Golden Syrup.

Good luck!

I'll try the honey and bread trick with the morning meds. On the strawberry nesquick, you mean the syrup, right?

At the moment, he's very wary of anything I try to give him when he's out of the cage alone. He's more likely to take something from me when he's in with all the others, but he's eating so slowly right now that everything gets stolen from him before he finishes it. :doh:

Back