RIP Athena –3.5 months old... She really needs a Do-Over ...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nov23Athena2.jpg

Can I nominate for RPOM? I'm sorry, it may not be the appropriate place/time to do it. But that little face is just talking to me like no other little face has before.
And now I'm crying again....

Awww that pic is already up in December's RPOM...she was a very wonderful, expressive and happy little girl for 12 days. Before that she was just a scared little feeder rat, so she did okay in the end.

lilspaz68 said:
Awww that pic is already up in December's RPOM...she was a very wonderful, expressive and happy little girl for 12 days. Before that she was just a scared little feeder rat, so she did okay in the end.

Do you have any idea at all what could have happened to her? Did she fall on her head maybe?

I can't grasp how a thigh injury could result in neurological damage unless she fell from an upper level onto her head. I just don't get it.

I am finding it virtually impossible to make closure with Athena's death. I have the hardest time with the deaths of baby rats... especially PEWs. I can only chalk this up to my extra tight bond with Roquefort.... my precious little PEW who taught me to adore their ruby red eyes... the mirrors to those tender and gentle little souls.

I find myself watching your video over and over again. It tears me up but right now is the only thing that gives me any comfort because she was still alive and there was hope.

I find it to be the greatest blessing that her final weeks were with you Shelagh. Despite her malady, she looked like the happiest little thing on the planet. The picture of her sleeping, with her face resting in your hand, is every proof to me that she was in the best possible place and that God blessed her in that way before bringing her home.

She was dearly loved by you... she knew that in her heart....and that, in itself, helps me deal with this. :rose:

Such a warm and loving demeanor shows itself in her face. The comfort, safety, and trust she exudes, in that video, is one of the most touching and beautiful things to perceive. It is such a bittersweet thing to have to experience. :heart:

Athena came to me with her head tilt, I assumed it was inner ear infection. She had very bad balance when she arrived. She was started on abs and seemed to improve. The day I moved them into their new bigger cage together, that night she was very lethargic, cool, her fur puffed up. They had knocked the water bottle down during the day, so I assumed it was dehydration, but even through the other girls went through the same thing, and drank from a bowl off and on, they weren't affected the same way. She was very quiet all night until morning when she was active and happy again. This should've been my first clue. The only one who will know what happened to Athena is herself, so we will never know the definitive answer, but from everything that happened I have my supposition.

From what I know now, I think our little gal had a seizure, and her foot probably slid through the bars and got trapped (causing the scraping and mild injury) the seizure made her batter her body against the walls causing the strains in her body and a possible fall. She was in pain, and worried terribly about moving, and as you saw in her pics eating happily from the syringe. But that night she was a changed rat. More seizures during the day I think? She started to have neuro movements, she was manically trying to groom and was bending and not squeaking in pain, and then foot clubbing, and horrible new symptoms that I have never seen in a head tilt rat...then she started minor seizures which rapidly became worse over the night. I held her for most of them praying she would just pass now. Of course she didn't. She shouldn't have died, but more and more I believe that she was not well beyond the obvious. :sad3:

Another terrible case, just like one I will never forget. Same age with similar problems. Athena was meant to be with you for the love and care you are so willing to give. I can't think of a better person for the job, one to take her in, show her love and let her go because it was her time. No one could do a better job than Iris' little angel. :hugs:
R.I.P. Athena, Iris has so much to share with you. :heart:

Sweet little rat. It reminds me of a little blue and white rat I got once. She lived 1 month. She was sick from the beggining. The last days she was in terrible pain. At the pet store they insisted it was my fault.

I'm so sorry to hear Athena didn't get a chance to have more time with you. It does sound like she had more going on than meets the eye. Poor sweet baby had a wonderful time in your care before crossing over. It's you she'll be looking for at the bridge, not her former home.

Back