Rhys and Casper intros

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilratsy43

So I attemped intros today. I know I should have waited the full quaratine, but I was just too excited. Well, it went really well for the first few minutes. Rhys was eating all the cheerios, while Casper just wanted out of the tub. Then it happened, they began wresling, I know that this is normal so I let it go for a little, but then Casper began huffing. I knew it was time to seperate, so I did. It just because Rhys is a hairless, so I am very uncertain to go about intros. As a little scratch for him looks aweful.

Also I think that Casper is the more aggressive of the two, he is the only one who huffed. He also seems to puff up all the time...

Here are some pics of the night

The results of the intro:

I don't know what to do anymore, I was just trying to make Rhys happy and complete and I continously fail... :panic:
And as a result, I feel I am going to end up with 3 boy cages... :(

You are trying to introduce 2 grown males.. That doesn't allways work out great..
Maybe you should try a younger male - 5-6 weeks??

You put them in in each others cages so they can really sniff the others scent and get use to it before meeting each other, Adults can take awhile to introduce to each other, I have intoduced two adult males within a couple of days but it can take weeks and sometimes months, good luck :)

I would continue with the intros. One day is not an indicator of how it will turn out. Casper needs to see him every day, smell him every day. This is how he's going to get to know him better. You can do the switching of cages, and keep the cages beside each other. Keep doing your bathtub intro. When Casper gets huffy and puffy, just push him gently away from Rhys. Keep doing this each time Casper because upset.

Thanks guys for the hope! I wasn't sure if I was doing the right thing...I will keep putting them in the tub and I will keep a close watch on Casper, I tried the dominate pinch on him, he went crazy squeaking I was only able to hold him down and not actually do the pinch thing. He was fine for a little, then he started puffing up at my hand....

As for getting a younger rat to meet them: I alway heard it was very dangerous to introduce 6 week old babies to older males, thats why I tried to get a boy around Rhys' age...I have always been told that if things were to go wrong, the baby would have no chance and I may not be able to help.

Don't get me wrong, I have had more sucess with intros with younger rats, but I have never put an oldie with a newbie...

Back