revolution question

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OceanEyes117

I think I have a case of the mites. Luna has scabbies all over and her nails are pretty well trimmed. So, what kind of revolution should I get? Kitten/puppy, cat or dog? and also, how much do I apply?

The kitten or puppy one will do. As for the dose, we'll need your sweetie's weight. It's always good to do a mite treatment when you see scabs or even suspect that it could be the case. All your ratties should be treated.

my vet is back on the 28th. i'll be getting revolution for mine crew then. if i can get weights can you guys help me dose 15? (i'm going to do the 2 fosters just in case too)

is there is any concern giving revolution to older rats or rats with resp infections? also is there any concern to dose them on hairless or if they don't have mites? the chances are high that they do have them but should i verify that each one has them before dosing? i'm assuming its safe and that i should just dose all of them if i suspect an outbreak but i want to double check. i've never used revolution, i've only ever used oral ivermectin.

We can sure help you with the dosing. And it's safe to dose everyone including the hairless as a preventive.
The mites/lice can't live on the hairless but they sure can jump and eat off of them, so best for him to be treated.

You need a scale that can weigh accurately in grams or ounces. There's no other way to get a correct weight. If you can take them to your vet, they should have a scale that can weigh them. You can pick up a digital scale in most office supply stores, as well as places like Walmart and that around the $15-$20 range. You want one that can weigh accurately to within .01grams.

If you're using the Puppy/Kitten Revolution, you really don't need a weight. The Dog version is the only one with a higher concentration so you would have to have weights if you were using that. The Cat version is the same as the Kitten/Puppy only there's more of it. Revolution is non toxic up to something insane like 10x the recommended dosage. A single drop is approximately .02 -.03cc, which is the average dose. Just hold the tube over the rat and apply gentle pressure to the tube until a single drop comes out. If you have small TB syringes used for oral medications, you can even draw the amount into the syringe so you don't accidentally put too much on them.

The Revolution kitten/puppy formula came today!! NO MORE ITCHY SCRATCHY!!! :joy: :happydance: :happydance: :joy: :bow:
So I just separate the fur by the shoulders and put one drop? The package says not to rub it in, but I am guessing it needs to get on their skin, and then that I should make sure that it dries before the groom that area right? I haven't done this before so let me know what works and how to apply it if this sounds wrong.

Also, should I treat my new rat too because they will be meeting each other and moving in together?

You can go ahead and treat all of your rats, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

You part the fur, as much as you can, and put the single drop between their shoulders. It only takes it a minute to dry, and I've never had a problem with just putting them back as soon as they were dosed. You still don't want to rub it into their coat. It will penetrate their fur and get down to the skin without any help from you, and rubbing it in will actually take away some of the solution onto your finger.

It seems pretty hard to part her fur all the way down to the skin. Would it be easier if i wet that area a little bit? Or would that mess with the revolution...? Any tips on how to hold them/ part the fur so you can get a good aim and get it on their skin?

It's not imperative that you part the fur. It will soak in, so as long as you get it as in there as you can, it'll be fine. I hold them in my lap with my left hand over their head to hold them still, then push down the skin on either side of their shoulders with my thumb and index finger so that their fur parts a little. If you come up from behind into their fur, against the grain, you can atleast get under the fur easier. I definitely wouldn't get the area wet, that would mess with the Revolution.

Thanks everyone for all your help. It makes being a newbie so much easier. I dosed both of them this morning and will be cleaning cages tomorrow to get rid of any fallen bodies. Hopefully there will be lots and Luna will be feeling better soon. Do I need to reapply at any point? Also, how soon should I start to see a reduction in scabs and itching? Thanks again for all the help!

Back