Respiratory issues - Lou

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamarat2

Lou will be going to the vet this evening as when I woke up this morning he was breathing much harder than usual and very lethargic. My other vet is still on vacation otherwise he would have been in this morning. I printed out drug info about zithro, as I am going to ask and see if this would be good for Lou.

Lou is one of my boys that was living outside in April when I first got him (almost two years ago). He has always had lung/sinus issues and usually the baytril/doxy keeps it down and in check. He just came off a stint of baytril and he is having issues.

Any other thoughts I should bring up to the vet? I was also considering asking about some type of bronchodilator for him...any idea as to what to suggest? I haven't had to use one in a while, pred is something I keep onhand but I beleive that is in a different category though I know it can be used to help breathing.

Jen

I would do the baytril and zithro combo first, if that doesn't help, then I would ask for albuterol a bronchodialator. Hopefully that will help. You can also ask for lasix. Lasix is mainly for heart problems but my vet told me that it can also help if the rat has wet lungs.

Good luck to Lou!!

Turns out the vet feels very strongly that it is his heart from all signs and symptoms. We did not take an xray but the vet immediately put him on lasix (got a shot in the office) and enalapril. Got his first enalapril dose into him a few minutes ago and the lasix is already begining to ease his breathing.

Back