Resp problems - after baytrill and ronoxan

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bati

Got an appointment on wednesday, my sweet old Panic is wheesing again, all we ever use for respiratory problems are baytrill and ronoxan, but it takes so long to work (3 weeks so far, and not gotten any better). Any suggestions on other drugs?

It took me awhile to figure out that Ronoxan was doxycycline. That is all your vets ever use? Sigh.
What are his symptoms exactly?

I wonder if your vet would prescribe you Azithromycin (Zithromax) a human pediatric drug. Ask a few people on here, Jorats and myself included, a combination of Baytril and Zithro is a very potent one for respiratory infections. :)

My vet is usually very cooperative. And yes, those two things are the only things we use for resp problems.

He is slow, not moving too much and it makes a horrible sound, it's clear that he is strugling to breathe. Twice before I've thought he'd be gone the next day, but he seems to manage, but now he's almost two and I'd like something more effective (not only for him, but for anyone, as I dont think doxy/baytrill is all that effective)

I'll try asking for the drug you mention - thank you!

Bati said:
My vet is usually very cooperative. And yes, those two things are the only things we use for resp problems.

He is slow, not moving too much and it makes a horrible sound, it's clear that he is strugling to breathe. Twice before I've thought he'd be gone the next day, but he seems to manage, but now he's almost two and I'd like something more effective (not only for him, but for anyone, as I dont think doxy/baytrill is all that effective)

I'll try asking for the drug you mention - thank you!

It is a human drug and he would need to write a prescription so you can go to the pharmacy.

Here's ratguide's page on it as well (can you print and bring to your vet?)
http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_ ... omycin.php

Baytril & doxy has always worked wonders for my rats... has even brought back rats on the edge of death with pneumonia. Depends on the situation and the underlying problems.

If you can get a nebulizer you can try nebulizing teh antibiotics gentamicin or amikacin and a bronchodilator like aminophylline or theophylline.

Does streptomycin help anything? Got it from a vet I don't know, but have been to afraid to try it

I know the forum says always chek with a vet, but actually around here, it should say 'even if you've been to the vet, always check the forum too'

I'll ask for the things you mention, need a prescription for baytril / doxy, so it's just writing something else 8)

I can't find anything on the ratguide for streptomycin :( I don't think its used much in vet care anymore, I foudn some old articles that i couldn't access dated 1950.

and this tantalizing bit that I couldn't find again...

Unlike other aminoglycoside antibiotics, streptomycin has not been so widely used on its own in human and veterinary medicine, because of its severe ... Severe is not a word I like in this case. :(

Back