Rescue Rat, suspected preganancy spotting

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashana

Hi everyone,

We received 3 surrenders yesterday and much to our surprise there were 2 girls and 1 boy. They all looked a little underweight and are approx 3 months old. The 2 girls (even though they seem not too well fed) were a little round in the stomach (very round once she had eaten all the food i gave her).

When we checked on everyone later the little man seemed to have an unsheathed penis which we are cleaning and using olive oil to lubricate it to help i return to the sheath. He seems to be accepting of this even though he is very scared (as are his sisters).

The smaller of the girls looked ok but i think i can feel a few little lumps in her tummy, no shock there!!

When i checked on the bigger girl she had some blood coming from her virgina. We placed her in a cage of her own since we had heard that leaving mums together can cause then to fight over babies. She did not seem to stressed by the move and settled in well. There was no really huge signs of her being uncomfortable or laboring so after 2 hours we went to bed and so did she. There was a total of 3 small spots of blood on her bedding in the morning, no babies and no more bleeding.

Can anyone tell me whether this means anything ie miscarriage, impending birth??

I just want to be as prepared as possible with these little ones. They have not had the best start from the looks of it and i just want to help them.

Thanks
Aimee

One of our rescue girls spotted like that, I believe it was a few hours (4-5) before giving birth.
If she's not in any distress, I wouldn't worry.

Thanks Jo,

It started at around 10pm last night and we went to bed at midnight. Woke up at 7:30am and checked her again and there was no blood or babies. She is keeping me on my toes ;)

Come to think of it, April also had some very light bleeding almost 5 days before giving birth but we thought that it was a bladder infection. It might very well have been caused by the pregnancy.
Keep us updated!!

Sure will ;)

So it could just be her preparing for the birth?

Should i leave her by herself or let her back in with her sister for a couple. I guess i know the answer, I just hate leaving her by herself as she is so scared and now alone :(

Yep, first thing i did was give them some safe paper (newspaper which is printed with vegetable ink) and also some nice polar fleece bedding (which i can remove if needed). She also has a snuggle sack and a box to nest in if she wishes. She is just chillin' for now, she seems quite happy to be left alone. She looks so sad in some ways but also relaxed as long as i do not go to touch her.

I will keep a close eye on her and let you know what happens ;)

Aimee

She has moved all the paper and bedding that i gave her into the spot she wants it in but I can not say that is looks anything like a comfy organised nest, more like a pile of paper and bedding LOL. I guess she thinks it is a nest hehehe.

Aimee

Hi Jo,

Thanks for all your help.

Well 1 week after the first bit of spotting the babies were born (this am), unfortunately mum had 6 possible stillborn bubs with no other babies being born.

Since she was rescued last saturday i have been feeding her high protein foods and well as offering loads of other foods and drink but it was not enough. Mum has gone back to her sister and is enjoying some family time without her precious babies. She does continue to search for them but obviously can not find them.

This has been a heartbreaking experience, thanks for your help
Aimee

Thanks Girls,

It is so nice to be able to come to a forum of people that love rats as much as i do and to get their support *hugs*.
Mum is doing really well, we have decided to call her Inca (short for incarnation and her sister will be known as Bliss (because she has given Inca some comfort in her time of need). The sisters are snuggling and eating together, I am sure Inca is still thinking about her precious babies but hopefully within a few days she will forget and move on with her life. She has so much to live for and while she is here with us she will not look back not for a single second.

Thanks again girls ;)

Back