Rescue of Two Baby Wild Mice-Released into the Wild Aug 30

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am starting to cut back on their KMR and baby cereal in the hopes they will eat more of the seeds. I also put a blueberry in there as well as a little apple so they could try some fruit. I think they ate the pieces of avocado that I put in there last night. One of my goals this weekend is to make them a release house, basically a 'safe house' that will offer them some food to tide them over and a safe place to be that most predators can't get into. I figure one more week and they will be ready to go. They are so fast and agile that every time I handle them one almost gets away. I will be happy when I don't have to worry about one escaping and getting eaten by one of the cats!

Awwwwwwww such sweet babies .... hope they will do well having a safe house and being fed by you (for life? I hope)

Very fortunate babies to have a wonderful caring guardian angel such as you, Joanne

I laughed out loud too, what a silly mouse! They look like a lot of fun. I hope they are able to successfully thrive when released. Good luck Teeny and Weenie!

This morning Teeny and Weenie were released back into the wild. They have a safe release house with lots of food and a warm bed, out in an overgrown field. Good luck babies! Stay safe!

Pictures of their release shelter:

IMG_1056_zps2cbf66da.jpg

IMG_1057_zps105df935.jpg

And a great resource for mice information:

http://development.mouseranch.com/FYI/r ... lter.shtml

Joanne said:
This morning Teeny and Weenie were released back into the wild. They have a safe release house with lots of food and a warm bed, out in an overgrown field. Good luck babies! Stay safe!

Too bad ... you took such good care of them and did all that you could to help them thrive ...

I was hoping it was to an outbuilding where you would be able to continue to be their guardian angel (like the setup Jorats has)
The babies have been released into the wild not knowing how to survive, to deal with predators and into the territory of other mice who will likely kill them.
I think it would have been better to have them humanely pts, then to be abandoned like this.

I am sure that you thought this would be the best solution or you would not have done it
and I know that you did everything you could to give them good care and a good future

Life really sucks
I hope they die fast without suffering too such.

SQ said:
Joanne said:

Too bad ... you took such good care of them and did all that you could to help them thrive ...

I was hoping it was to an outbuilding where you would be able to continue to be their guardian angel (like the setup Jorats has)
The babies have been released into the wild not knowing how to survive, to deal with predators and into the territory of other mice who will likely kill them.
I think it would have been better to have them humanely pts, then to be abandoned like this.

I am sure that you thought this would be the best solution or you would not have done it
and I know that you did everything you could to give them good care and a good future

Life really sucks
I hope they die fast without suffering too such.

hey, don't be such a debbie downer. They've had eachother to help keep their wild instincts in check, and they weren't in human care that long. and the human care they recieved was very good, but very minimal, and Joanne obviously put a lot of time into research. If I could have returned Rhydian safely to the wild, I would have, because wild animals deserve just that.. the chance to be free in nature. and they've got a beautiful house, that I'm sure will stay their house, since it's so secure, and may end up housing their future generations, and food was provided for them while they adjust.

Don't forget how strong natural instinct can be. I'm sure they'll figure out how to find food, and how to live. It was inborn, and ingrained into them, because they ARE wild, and I think it's lovely that they're able to return to nature.

even though he's a completely different species think about Christian the lion. His owners released him in the wild, believing that wild animals SHOULD be wild, and I'm sure you know that lions are very territorial and live in groups. Well, Christian adjusted beautifully because of his natural born instincts, and even became the alpha of his own pride of lions. If he can do it, I'm sure these little mice will be okay.

I have seen this video before quite a while ago. I always wondered what happened at the end of the experiment...

SQ, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't agree with your outlook. I think they are quite capable of learning to fend for themselves.
The goal of fostering the mice was not to give them a home, but to let them grow up a bit so they were strong enough to live their normal mousy life. I was never planning on taming them, especially since it appeared there was one male and one female.
Without human intervention, they would have been dead 3 1/2 weeks ago. Now they have a chance to live, whether it's one day or one month or one year. That is the life (and death) of a wild mouse.

Back