Remus February 27, 2005 - February 27, 2008, 11:35 pm

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Sparrow

I know it happened a little while ago but I was not ready to tell everybody. My closest friends know but that's about it.

I have to pay tribute to my boy, I did it for all of my other rats so now it is his turn.

Remus and Dobby were my first rats. When I bought my house in June 2004, I knew I was going to have one rat and that his name was going to be Remus. I knew I would have to wait until at least March 2005 to have Remus. (The house had to be built.)

I started looking for a cage for Remus. Never found anything nice enough for him in Ottawa so I finally found one in Montreal. I bought that cage during the summer of 2004 and that meant for me that soon (not soon enough) I would have Remus.

Remus didn't even exist yet. I didn't know what he would look like, what colour etc. I knew he was not born yet but I already loved him greatly.

Remus Lupin was and is still my favourite Harry Potter character. Him and I have a lot in common. I loved that man since the beginning because of the ressemblance we both have.

A few months after I bought the cage, someone told me that rats are happier in pair or in group. So I decided that Remus would need a companion.

Remus and his brother Dobby were born in Montreal on February 27, 2005. I saw them for the first time in March 2005 and decided that they would be mine. Since I didn't have my house yet, I visited the 2 boys on a regular basis.

Remus and Dobby moved into my house on April 8, 2005. I moved in on April 14. They were the first ones living in the house. Of course, I had to go over to the house regularly to visit them and to feed them.

Remus was the last surivivor of his litter and of course, the oldest. Dobby was old himself as he died when he was 2 years and 4 months old.

I was really proud of Remus especially when he reached 30 months. However, I noticed that about 2 weeks before he died, that he really slowed down a lot and was not sure anymore if he would make it to 3 years.

On the morning of Wednesday February 27, Remus was still alive but not very active. I knew that his time had come but unfortunately, I had to go work that day and on Wednesdays, I am never home before 10:30.

I wrote a message wishing him happy birthday before I left for work in the morning. But when I came back home at 10:30, Remus was still alive but extremely weak.

I always wanted to spend those precious moments with my first rat. Remus have waited for me before leaving. I could hold him and he died at 11:35, the day he turned 3 years old.

I think Remus knew. He knew I was hoping that he would reach 3 years old and he knew I wanted to be with him when he goes.

He died peacefullly in my arms on his third birthday. Remus gave me the most precious gift allowing me to spend his last moment with him.

Remus was my first rat. I will certainly use that name again in the future in memory of my first boy.

:hugs: :sad3: What a beautiful tribute, Jack... I'm very sorry about Remus and I can tell by how you write of your lovely boy that he was truly unique and special to you. I understand about not being ready to tell anyone about your loss... sometimes it just takes a long time for the emotions to settle enough for it to even be possible to think about the loss much less share it with anyone else. Remus was most certainly a rat that you will never get over the loss of and will never forget. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: Again, I am very sorry for your loss :sad3: Your tribute brought me to tears... I had no difficulty in feeling the emotion and love you were feeling when you wrote about your sweet, darling boy. It's also very easy to feel the love that he had for you as well :hugs:

He really was a special boy... from being there with your first house to fulfilling your wish to reach three and die in your arms. What a wonderful rat!!
I'm so sorry Jack...

Remus
janvier2006120Remus.jpg

Remus.jpg

Remus2.jpg

Remus Lupin, the werewolf in his human form.
RemusLupin.jpg

Aww Jack, I'm so sorry. Remus was a lovely manrat. He had a long, loving life with you. And now you have beautiful memories of him.

Aww, I am so sorry for the loss of Remus. :hugs:
He seemed a very sweet and loving boy. :heart:

I'm so sorry Jack Sparrow. What a beautiful sweet-faced little man your Remus was. He was blessed with a decent lifetime in a wonderful family.
I'm so happy for you that he knew how much you wanted your arms to be his takeoff point, and that he was able to do that for you. I have no doubt they can choose their flighttime to a certain extent, and that they know better than we do if witnessing it in whatever form it comes in will help us or hurt us more in the longrun. And that they choose out of love and gratitude for us. Especially the ones we make feel special.

Hugs to you.

Back