Removing misaligned teeth?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilratsy43

My vet suggested we remove Rhys's front teeth. He has had to get his teeth trimmed every 3 weeks for at least 3 months now. I really don't mind the trimming, but would he be better off with out the teeth all together? The thing with the trimming is, sometimes they are not even, and sometimes I can't get him in right on the 3 week mark, so they are more overgrown then I would like...

What do you guys think?
Has anyone heard of this? Or done it?
How are they with eating afterwards?

My Rose has hers trimmed every two weeks. If you CAN remove them, then it is a good choice, it is, according to my vet, VERY difficult to remove rat teeth because if any of the tissue of the root is left it will regrow, and could possibly grow backwards into their sinuses etc. (this would result in the rat being pts). You might have better trained exotic vets down in NY but up here my vet said he didn't know of anyone in the Atlantic provinces who has done it even once. It is a tough choice.

lilratsy43 said:
Do they have nerves in their teeth like us?
I would think that would hurt...

Nope didn't hurt Jasper at all. But he had to be on soft foods for a while.
My vet told me she would never do teeth extraction unless there was a really good reason and malocclusion is not a good reason in her opinion.

He did say most vets don't do it because you could crack their skull, but that he does it with all the rodents he gets with a misalignment so that goes for bunnies and guinea pigs.

Jo, I agree I kind of feel its a bit too extreme. I don't think I will do it, but I wanted to know if you guys had heard of it. Rhys has been through enough in his short life, I mean his neuter nearly killed him. I can just have them trimmed even couple of weeks, its really not too pricey and very quick!

Back