Reinforcing chewed plastic cage bottom?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhapsody

Jonah and Jezbel live in one of those large SuperPet guinea pig cages. Grr, that naughty pair have been slowly nibbling on the corners of the plastic bottom, and well, there's now a small hole.

I figure that once there's a "breach" its only a matter of time before they enlarge the hole enough to escape from. Is there any safe way of plugging/blocking the hole?

The hole
chew01.jpg

The not-so-innocent
chew02.jpg

Its hard to describe what I did when my rats did this so, here are some pics

DSC_0107.jpg

The hole is the back right corner here:
DSC_0108.jpg

By using the top of a different cage below the base, they were contained within their cage...
I'm not sure if this an option for you, but I thought I would add it just in case you were able to find something that could work.

ARGH, you guys are so smart! My silly brain was bouncing in all the wrong directions.

Hmm, I'm swinging over to the rescue lady's house this weekend - maybe I can go through her pile of frankencages and see if there is any wiring that'd fit.

And the litter box is a great idea too. Thanks guys!

You may have to zip tie the litter box so it stays in place - we have to work around holes on several of our cages at the shelter, it does work.

Back