reddish discharge

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skittlesxx

I just adoptded 3 rats this Friday, and two of them have some reddish discharge around their eyes and nose (esp when they sneeze, which they do a far amount). I THINK the sneezing may be from the bedding she had them on, and I'm going to buy some Yesterdays News this weekend. I also think they're bedding may have given them mites as they all scratch a lot too..oh dear. So I was going to get Ivermectin or Revolution for them. But how much would the doasge be for a female rat?
Anyways, I was told with my old rats who also had the discharge thing (only around their nose mostly though I think) that that was normal. But I've also red it has something to do with something wrong in their respiratory system? Any thoughts?
thanks! =)

The red discharge could be from a Upper Respiratory Infection (URI), or from stress. From what you've said about the sneezing and the discharge i would be more inclined to get them checked at the vets just to be safe.

The reddish discharge is porphyrin and can indicate that they are stressed or ill.

Treat them with cat or kitten revolution.
The dose is 4 mg to 8 mg per pound (454.4g) of rat. All rat meds are by weight so an accurate digital postal scale is a good investment. It is basically a drop of revolution on the back of the neck. Just make sure your rats are old enough. It is important to freeze bedding for 72 hours before using it, in order to kill any parasites that may be in it.

Rats often have new home sneezes. If so the sneezing should disappear within a couple of days of arrivial in their new home. (Sounds like it didn"t.)
Sneezing can also be due to irritation from things such as bedding, perfume, air freshner, cig smoke, cleaning products, etc. So you would want to get rid of these types of things.

If they are still sneezing, they need to go to a vet and be put on antibiotics. If the antibiotic doesn't help the vet needs to try a different antibiotic. If an antibiotic is helping, they need to stay on it for 2 to 3 weeks.

Back