Really, really need some help with my bite-y little Liam...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinypaws3

For those of you who haven't seen my post about Liam, refer to here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35489

So, Liam is still biting. I'm typing this with 2 big gashes in my knuckles from trying to pet him. I'm scared to even put my hand in the cage to pet him, or Logan (his brother who I also adopted from the SPCA). Logan is sweet, very timid, but not a biter at all. Liam is the only one out of all of the rats that came in that bites. Thankfully! No matter what, he will stay with me and I'll just be happy that he's safe with me but man, it's definitely a little stressful to deal with. I understand why he would bite, I don't even blame him and even if he never allows me to pick him up (which is difficult, he's sooo damn cute), I can handle that but it would be so nice if I could get him to stop biting.

I've never dealt with a biter before, so I'm kind of at a loss. I pull my hand away and "yelp" when he bites me but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I just want him to have a happy life and I know I could give him a much happier life if we could interact without me bleeding everywhere lol.

I know many of you have dealt with biters... please give me all the advice that you can. I just want my little guy to be happy :heart:

I haven't talked to my vet about that yet. He's lived with other rats, he came into the SPCA with 3 other brothers and 3 sisters (one of whom I unfortunately think is pregnant). He has one of his brothers, Logan, with him now and he's definitely happier. I'm scared to have him neutered though. I don't think any vets around here are experienced and he's about 8 months old, so nearing a year... I know a neuter would be perfect but is it risky at 8 months?

Rats reach sexual maturity by six weeks right? I think the only risk would be in growth, and if he's eight months old then he's already adult size. Any surgery is risky, but I don't think this one would be overly so. Still, I'm no expert. If there's an exotic or small animal vet in the area, you should ask him the risks.

Hmmm I'll call around tomorrow and see if I can find someone nearby who knows what they're doing. I heard that it gets really risky to neuter a rat after a year, but I don't know, I've never had a rat neutered yet. I think it would solve everything, but i don't want to risk his life either if the chances are 50/50.

Please read the following link.
There are important questions to ask before surgery

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9640

If he is healthy then surgery should pose only a small risk, if the vet knows how to do it properly with rats.

What area of Canada are you in? People might be able to suggest a good rat vet

He needs a neuter and its possible he is cage aggressive so you cannot reach into the cage. We have another boy now that just recently became aggressive past the time his hormones should have came in - he is about 9-10 months old and definately in need of a neuter and also quite frankly scares us. He has not bitten yet, but not for lack of trying. Oliver our other biter still like the taste of blood apparently even after the neuter and we definitely have to watch that guy to see what mood he's in. Start with the neuter. Throttle our other trouble child has become quite loving with his neuter and age. Oven mitts work well

I had Shiloh neutered and he was well over a year. He came through just fine. :) As long as your guy is healthy it shouldn't be any riskier than a normal surgery.

Back