Rattie allergy help needed ASAP (Update on my Allergies)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you everyone, for your caring thoughts, ideas and concerns, I am very grateful to you all...

Katt & Sparkles, thank you too

I'm sorry I came into this late. Here's my problem and how I deal with it. I sometimes get red hives on my arms. I have oxy pads and we use them after everytime we play with the rats. Helps heal our scratches and helps with the itchiness. I also did notice that when the cage is clean the scratches are not as itchy. But when it is nearing cleaning time, I get the hives. I do not take allergy pills as it gives me some other problems as well. But the oxy pads work really well.

Just one thing, be very careful with the rats and them being on the newspaper if you are using that as lining in the cage. I know you said you have plain white paper down over the newspaper. Rats can have issues with the newspaper, especially with the ink.

Glad to hear your allergies are clearing up!

Most newspapers have vegetable base ink. They started that because too many people were allergic to the ink. I've contacted my local paper and some Toronto newspapers and they all use the vegetable based ink.

I'm allergic to my ratties too. My skin is really sensitive to their little feet so I always wear my 'rat shawl' around my neck. The rats LOVE to curl up in it/hide/snuggle/etc and it keeps their toes from scratching my skin.

Here's Roo about to snuggle under my rat shawl
2223138781_e1de0fc754.jpg

As for everything else, I keep some anti-itch cream next to the cage, and wash my hands after playtime.

Thanks for the info, dingosm8, I'll have to give that a try as well

mamarat, I actually have the newspaper covered with two layers of plain white printer paper and I also clean the cage every 2 days, so the newspaper has never been wet at all when I've changed it.

My girls are actually doing 99% of their potting in their litter box which is a + :D thanks for the info though, I'll definitely keep that in mind

Back