Rats in Heat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NezumiNeko

Yuki is acting crazier than usual tonight, and then I saw her vibrate her ears, so apparently it's her "I wish to make love to a chunky male" time. I'm not sure if Onigiri's in heat, but now that I know what the vibrating ears mean, I have some questions.

Are there ways to tell if a rat is in heat besides the ear thing?
How does the behavior of rats differ while on a hormonal high?
How often does it occur?
How long does it last?
Do rats have periods? (I feel like I woulda noticed something, but just making sure.)
How consistent are the patterns of heat?

Thanks for quenching my curiosity!

Females in heat can become more bossy/nippy but not always. They also do this little hopping dance. If you gently touch their butt, they will arch their back ready for ...well, you know. lol
They cycle every 4 to 5 days and it can last a day. BUT!! Females can go into heat when they sense a male is around so they can get off their cycle/routine.
And nope, rats don't get their period.

Are there ways to tell if a rat is in heat besides the ear thing?
They will stand still and vibrate if you pet their lower back/base of tail area.
Some girls show no signs of being in heat.

How does the behavior of rats differ while on a hormonal high?
Much more active.

How often does it occur?
every 3 to 4 days

How long does it last?
I think around 12 hours .. 12 to 24

Do rats have periods? (I feel like I woulda noticed something, but just making sure.)
No, if you notice bleeding your vet needs to see a vet immediately

How consistent are the patterns of heat?
Very consistent as far as I know

Thanks a lot for the info. I actually thinks it's kinda funny when rats vibrate. And yeah, Yuki's extremely active, which considering her normal level, is fightening.

Kind of a funny aside: we have 1 neutered male living with 11 females. When they're in estrus, and they hop around in front of Davros, he just looks confused. I saw him grab at one girl once but he grabbed her haunches and then paused, like "....what now?" My poor naive awkward boy!

NezumiNeko said:
Yuki is acting crazier than usual tonight, and then I saw her vibrate her ears, so apparently it's her "I wish to make love to a chunky male" time.

:laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: I am still laughing about that

Back