Rats and Tea Tree Oil

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnmjenn

Does anyone know if rats react to tea trea oil? We clean with Melaleuca products exclusively in our house, and they contain tea tree oil. Mia's girlies have sneezed since we brought them home and I see light porph staining on Debbie's fur (she's a siamese). They are healthy and active, so I'm not really worried... just curious.

How long have they been home?

My girls sneeze when things get changed around, I think it might be from irritation from dust and stuff (renovations in the apartment building or spring thaw for example).

I hope its ok. Ive put diluted tea tree oil on Sids side before. He barbers his fur and his claws went through the skin on his side and they were refusing to scab over

lol! oops =)

I know it burns if its undiluted, because ive used it on an ear piercing (ouch), so it was very diluted when i used it on Sid

Do you mean highly toxic to rats or in general? We use it specifically because it is non-toxic.
Having worked with Melaleuca, I know that it is an extrememly effective antibacterial and antifungal and was a required item in the first aid kits of Australian soldiers.

I'm not sure that's accurate... Melaleuca sells dog shampoo that has it in. Pesty bugs don't like it (it irritates thier feet or other parts), and animals in general do not like the taste, but as far as I know, it's not toxic to them. I know that many Melaleuca customers use it for fly treatment for thier outdoor livestock for the very reason that it will not poison them with the pesticides usually used to keep bugs away.

I'll check on it... (just love to Google! :wink2: )

Ack!! found some good info!
Like you said, Jo... it is toxic in pure form... use only when VERY diluted!!! I'll be very careful when we clean the cage and the rats' things. I really think this may be why they're sneezing!

You're such a pro, Jo! :)
Thanks!!

I've been using tea tree for years now and haven't had any problems with the rats. I put it in my soap for them, salves and I make a spray with it for cuts & bumblefoot. Just like you said as long as you dilute, it should be fine :)

ryelle said:
HAHAHAHAA Ratmom!! I read ur signature so wrong

Owned by 1995 rats - is what i saw. I almost died!!

LOL oh man I would really be a hoarder if I had that many yikes. Could you imagine all the food and bedding you would go through :shock:

Back