Rat Shack Fest 2011 Where?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where?

• 1. Garson (Greater City of Sudbury)

• 2. Port Perry

• 3. High Park in Toronto.

• 4. Other and please specify.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Asheka said:
Moon said:
So any location suggestions since you chose "other"? That's kind of thepoint of that option :p
Asheka said:
I said other and chose the furthest Saturday but it really just depends on schedule by then and if I can hitch a ride :D

urm...TO is pretty close although London is much closer for me...There needs to be a "comment" only option lol

No, if you pick "other" you are supposed to comment with an idea.

Moon said:
Asheka said:
Moon said:
So any location suggestions since you chose "other"? That's kind of thepoint of that option :p
Asheka said:
I said other and chose the furthest Saturday but it really just depends on schedule by then and if I can hitch a ride :D

urm...TO is pretty close although London is much closer for me...There needs to be a "comment" only option lol

Sorry. Like I said London would be pretty awesome, but yea....

Asheka said:
Moon said:
Asheka said:
Moon said:
Asheka said:

That's not overly specific. You need to have a more specific venue in mind... and the willingness to plan the whole thing.

Moon said:
Asheka said:
Moon said:
Asheka said:
Moon said:
[quote="Asheka":2s5mfbpj]I said other and chose the furthest Saturday but it really just depends on schedule by then and if I can hitch a ride :D

That's not overly specific. You need to have a more specific venue in mind... and the willingness to plan the whole thing.[/quote:2s5mfbpj]

Didn't know that was the aspect for this. I do apologize I've been off the Shack for a while...saw the Shack Fest polls and got a little excited without reading the posts.

The thought of driving into Toronto gives me the willies. Where would be the best place to leave a car and to hop onto public transport? I could always leave the car in Montreal with friends and take the bus or train, but maybe closer would make more sense.

I think we need to put up another thread for Fest Transport...and maybe we can find a car pool lot north of the city and someone could meet you there on their way in, or come get you? Or we could look up Go Train schedules or ??

I'd LOVE to see you again :heart:

Godmother said:
The thought of driving into Toronto gives me the willies. Where would be the best place to leave a car and to hop onto public transport? I could always leave the car in Montreal with friends and take the bus or train, but maybe closer would make more sense.

Driving in Toronto isn't that bad, I managed to get there and out alive and didn't hit or run over anyone. I will be making the trip in June again for more practice.

eagle said:
Godmother said:

Driving in Toronto isn't that bad, I managed to get there and out alive and didn't hit or run over anyone. I will be making the trip in June again for more practice.
Toronto driving scares the crap out of me and generally I have a panic attack everytime but we can make it through! If need be, I could always pick you up somewhere.

Oh Godmother you can stay with me or near my place! If we hold it at my house, you'll already be here, and if it's at High Park, it's pretty much the only area of Toronto that I'm comfortable driving in since Shelagh's is the only place I go out that way, LOL

Moon, that is a brilliant idea! Thanks. I keep hoping that it will be at your place. If it's in Toronto, I would gladly abandon my car at Port Perry and hitch a ride in with you.

I shouldn't be such a chicken, because I have lived and driven in big cities, and I used to make a point of driving somewhere scary every year, but I am losing my touch after several years in such a small town. Nowadays when I travel to large cities, I take public transport or I am with someone who does the driving. I recall being late to a friend's wedding in Toronto because the traffic was grid-locked everywhere, and I wonder whether I would get lost on the multi-lane 401. Time for me to get some practice on US freeways or Montreal's frightening Metropolitain!

xenrielle said:
smmmiley said:
Ohhh, this would be a fun road trip! And, I have a Van!!! Would totally love to go and carpool some fellow locals.

That being said, our van is iffy these days so will be getting a new one in the next few months... just unsure of when. Also, it depends on the weekend it is planned for. Will have a better idea in 2-3 months.

Unfortunately, most of my plans are made last minute. Will have to follow this thread... :)

If you do end up doing it this way I would love to carpool with you. It would be so much easier, and I could help with gas so cheaper. :D

:thumbup: Getting the new van next week! :joy: Just need to wait now and see what weekend is chosen. August is better for me.

So it looks like it's going to be High Park. Unfortunately, I can't do anything for the organizing since I'm quite a ways a way.
Someone will have to step and and be the main organizer and hopefully will have help. :)
Anyone care to volunteer to put this together?

So I'll leave this here... We are hoping to have it for sometime in the middle of July. That's barely 4 months away. If nobody takes the responsibility to put it together then we'll have to cancel it. Or local people can set something up themselves. :)
I can certainly understand not wanting to be the one to set it up, it's really a big job.

I'll volunteer but there's a slight limitation depending on when in July it will be - my parents are organizing a family trip to London (my first time!). They're still figuring out dates, which will probably be in the latter half of July. If the dates don't clash, I'll be as big a support as possible.

What needs are we looking at? Chairs, tables, food... some kind of shirt or other memorabilia like previous years?

The shirts, we've got an idea brewing with that using cafepress. The last couple of years, the one organizing shirts got jipped a bit by some backing out at last minute. So we are thinking having someone make a design, send it to me and I put it in the cafepress Rat Shack shop and those who want one, orders themselves one.
If it's High Park, someone need to go secure a spot, it already has designated spots with picnic tables and such. But the person would be responsible for organizing the food and other supplies. Last year there was a pot luck type thing going on. But everyone should donate something to pay for the spot.

I would have a lot more trouble bringing BBQs this year if it is in High Park, so we'd need to do just cold food or someone else would have to figure out bringing the BBQs.

I am more than happy to do it at my place again, I had a great time (and my bathroom has a sink now! LOL).

Back