Rat Poop as fertilizer?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeHale

I recently moved in with my grandparents, who love the ratties. And my gramma wants to know if rat poops can be used as fertilizer in the garden?

Is there anything on this, anywhere? Does anyone know?

victoria said:
Probably not a good idea. Rabbit droppings are a good fertilizer but they are strictly herbivores, which rats are not.

:yeah:

Quite a few years ago, my son did a school science fair project using poop as fertilizer. When we researched it, the rat poop was no good. But in the experiment, it's the rabbit poop that came out as a winner.

My brother uses my rats bedding as compost. Of course it's not for there poop it's for there bedding which is recyclable Eco bedding.
rat poop for fertilizer? No sorry there not good for that. Jus' here for the noms and cuddles. Oh and of course looking really really cute.

I will go off topic a bit, but maybe you guys will. I was not really considering rat poop, but I also do own 3 guinea pigs and was wondering whether I could use theirs, as they are strictly herbivores...

I believe yes, the guinea pig ones might work. You can always try it, I don't think it can harm the garden. In our experiment, we tried fish water and that was a no go either. Didn't harm the radishes but didn't make it grow any better.

Back