rat hiccups? *update: it's myco and being treated*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littletiger

One of my two little fuzz balls has been making the occasional squeaky-hiccup like noise. Every time I hear it and peak in the cage, they're both attentive and fine. What causes this? Obviously, it doesn't seem to bother them.

Just curious,

Steph

It is supposed to be a symptom of myco.
If it becomes frequent, then you can treat the rattie for myco. (ie: an antibiotic from the vet such as baytril, for 4 to 6 weeks)
In my experience and the experience of some others, when ratties with "hiccups" are treated for myco, the "hiccups" go away.

There is some controversy among rat owners as to whether to treat for this or not.

My boys have this and are currently on day 25ish of their treatment. I know that they're having a "bad" day when I hear them. I ignored them for a few months (thinking it was nothing), and, well it seems to have been something. It's best to get your boys to the vet in case!

This is from http://www.rmca.org/Articles/qna1_98.htm
Q. RATTIE HICCUPS
Do rats get hiccups? If so, do some make chirping sounds like a bird? If "no", do they have a respiratory problem?

I have been told by one person who breeds rats that they do hiccup and that the chirping sound is because it feels uncomfortable. I talked to a vet and he stated that they could possibly have a respiratory problem. He said they do hiccup but that it's normally silent. Is this accurate? He also said that, in general, rats are quiet, and if they make chirping or grinding noises, it could be an indication there is something wrong. Is this accurate?

A.
Your vet is right regarding the chirping noises. Rats do get hiccups and they are indeed silent. Chirping noises could be an indication of a possible current respiratory problem, or even scar tissue from a previous respiratory infection.

Grinding noises, like when they're grinding their teeth, are completely normal, but for the most part, rats are extremely quiet. Grunts, chortles, and chirps are frequently signs of impending or current respiratory infections.

good luck!
sarah, slava and little rat

Bella dose this sometimes, but she don't have myco ..it just happens ..I don't know why ..and usually around allergy time.
But Toby dose it and he has myco so ..

fudge.

Then I suspect Charmin's the chirper. (my male albino) He had a respiratory infection last summer around july. He's also my most expensive rat, with already three vet visits...
I'm hesitant to bring them in because I'm a newly graduated college student and am pretty poor. Could this be the scar tissue from the previous infection flaring up? I suppose it's nothing that will just go away in time...

littletiger said:
fudge.

Then I suspect Charmin's the chirper. (my male albino) He had a respiratory infection last summer around july. He's also my most expensive rat, with already three vet visits...
I'm hesitant to bring them in because I'm a newly graduated college student and am pretty poor. Could this be the scar tissue from the previous infection flaring up? I suppose it's nothing that will just go away in time...

I would take him in for a check up just incase, because myco can get serious within very little time. You need lot's of money while owning ratties, lol!

Ratty Momma said:
littletiger said:
fudge.

I would take him in for a check up just incase, because myco can get serious within very little time. You need lot's of money while owning ratties, lol!

you're tellin' me :thud: i wish that they charged animals by weight!!

and i'm a grad student, so, littletiger, i TOTALLY get where you're coming from. you could always try an antibiotic combo to start out with. i'm just honest with my vet in terms of my $$$ situation and tell them exactly what i can afford. good luck!!

^^ yes explain to your vet that you don't have a whole lot because your a student, he/she may be able to give you a good price.

littletiger said:
I suppose it's nothing that will just go away in time...

Its very unlikely it will and I personally wouldn't take that chance as resp infections can progress very quickly and are alot easier to treat/prevent lung scarring when caught early.

Tobi did this most of his life, but he didn't have myco or any respiratory issues until the end. Are there any other symptoms of a respiratory issue? It wouldn't hurt to get it checked out or to even call your vet and see if she thinks she should see him or not.

I have them set up for an appointment tomorrow. Better safe than sorry.

That is the only sign he's showing. He doesn't have any nose/eye discharge or lethargic behavior. But the vet I called said it should get checked out. So I've got them in tomorrow to check. I'll let you guys know how that goes. But he's acting great now so here's hoping it will stay that way.

thanks again everyone for your wisdom :)

Good luck tomorrow.

btw, all pet rats are assumed to have myco. Symptoms flare up from time to time, more frequently with some rats then others.
You treat the symptoms, there is no cure.

*is back from vet*

Parsnip is fully healthy and springy. :) Charmin is on meds.
Looks to be a start for a respiratory infection. He's on Doxycycline and Baytril for two weeks. He seems a bit worn out but not in bad shape. At least I'll have caught it sooner than last time.

I just hope I can still drive to my college town this weekend to see my friends graduate. I'll have to find a babysitter. :)

Back