RAT CLEANING TIME AHHH!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilovemyrats

I hate having to clean the rats cage i know it has to be done i still do it i dont think anyone likes it. but how can i get the to be potty trained and i want to explore new ways to make my cage bigger and bette and i wasnt ideas to how to make new level simply not going out buy heaps of tools and stuff answer to both or one i dont mind!

If you find the cage is too small for the amount of rats, it can make it get dirty too fast and very stinky. Could that be the problem with your cage?

As well, the larger the doors, the easier it is to clean. The Ferret Nation and Critter Nation have doors that open the whole side of the cage - cleaning is a breeze. Maybe a cage upgrade is in order.....

Joanne said:
As well, the larger the doors, the easier it is to clean. The Ferret Nation and Critter Nation have doors that open the whole side of the cage - cleaning is a breeze. Maybe a cage upgrade is in order.....
yer its got a large cage door and yer i am upgrading it and giveing them a new level for most of the time not all the rimes cause the cage door has to be open for them to get to the level

SQ said:
Pictures would help us give concrete suggestions

here you go (you cant see the rats cause there sleeping on there hammock)

You have to host a picture somewhere like photobucket.com and then put the URL of the image between those two tags.

As for smell...the smaller the cage the faster and smellier it'll get. Potty training will help so you can throw the poo out more often. In order to potty train you basically find a pan...put some sort of litter in it (like Yesterday's News or Carefresh)...then every day put their poos in the litterbox. Soon they'll get the idea that that's where the poo goes and they'll start using it themselves. Once they get the hang of it you can start throwing it away more often...but always keep some poos in there while their still learning. Pee can't really be litterbox trained unfortunately. So if it still smells even after you've litter trained them...you might want to consider swapping out your fleece and stuff more often.

Cage cleaning time for me is 5 Minutes. I kid you not. (this obviously does NOT include washing the bars or pan).

This is achieved by having a layer of newspaper, then a layer of fleece. Simply lift the cage off the pan, roll up the fleece, shake it into the bin, put the newspaper in the bin, replace with new paper and clean fleece. Voila. 2 Minutes tops. Another couple of minutes to wash their plastic house and litter box and perhaps replace hammocks. Sure, every so often, you´ll need to clean the cage itself (i.e. bars and pan) thoroughly, and that takes about half an hour, but other than that, it´s no issue.

Maybe your cage is just poorly designed? Check out Martins Cages here: http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/ , I´ve been VERY happy with mine so far (make sure you get the powder coated ones).

I don't mind cleaning the cage, because I do it often, its usually never really that bad.

Except when I got a new girl Lucy and she wasn't used to her new diet. Pooey smelly.

brittanyfork said:
I don't mind cleaning the cage, because I do it often, its usually never really that bad.

Except when I got a new girl Lucy and she wasn't used to her new diet. Pooey smelly.

I'm the same. I do a quick clean each day, and then a whole cage scrub down maybe once a month. Never have any smell problems, unless I'm too tired at the end of the day to do my spot clean (which isn't very often).

1) Dump and change the litter pans

2) Rinse the floor mat....I used rubberized shelf lining which is super easy to rinse and dries in like seconds.

3) Change to flannette baby blanket I use on the bottom floor pan. I'll usually give the floor pan a quick wipe with an antiseptic wipe to catch any missed pee or flung turds.

The only pain is lifting the whole Martin's cage up and off the floor pan...I wish I had those hook thingys, but as I got it for a really good price, I don't complain too much.

Arkeld said:
Cage cleaning time for me is 5 Minutes. I kid you not. (this obviously does NOT include washing the bars or pan).

This is achieved by having a layer of newspaper, then a layer of fleece. Simply lift the cage off the pan, roll up the fleece, shake it into the bin, put the newspaper in the bin, replace with new paper and clean fleece. Voila. 2 Minutes tops. Another couple of minutes to wash their plastic house and litter box and perhaps replace hammocks. Sure, every so often, you´ll need to clean the cage itself (i.e. bars and pan) thoroughly, and that takes about half an hour, but other than that, it´s no issue.

Maybe your cage is just poorly designed? Check out Martins Cages here: http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/ , I´ve been VERY happy with mine so far (make sure you get the powder coated ones).

gosh i wish i can do that too but if i put newspaper under the fleece they will just go under it and rip the newspaper apart and then i have twice the mess to clean up >.< mind you in the ferret nations. but for me takes about half hour to clean the fn each level or so but that's because i clean them fully all the time; i can not stand dirty.

Back